Silky's S3 (8V)

Cheers!

The Audi sound system is great. I'd say as good, if not better than Bose on my old 8P S3.

does it have the setting in the mmi to have sound focused on the driver? think its in >car>esp or ems or something on the left its on the screen where you can change your tone etc...

does it have the setting in the mmi to have sound focused on the driver? think its in >car>esp or ems or something on the left its on the screen where you can change your tone etc...

Yes mate, it does.

So, on to my mods!

First up is the LED upgrade as supplied by t8ups on here. He's a top guy and I've dealt with him over a few years with my 8P etc. The kits he provides are top quality, highly recommended.

So even though my S3 has the optional LED lighting kit, the glovebox and door warning lights are still normal bulbs. The footwell and puddle lights are LED, but they only have a 1 LED per module and are not very bright or white. So t8ups suppled me with:

4 x Red LEDs for the door warning
4 x Upgraded white LEDs for the door puddle
1 x White LED for the glovebox

So far I've just fitted the doors and glovebox lights (footwell LEDs to follow when I get a chance)...

As you can see from below the Audi OEM LEDs (top) are pretty poor with only 1 LED per module, wheres as t8ups LEDs has 4:

I forgot to take before and after pics of the red door warning LEDs, so all pictures below have the t8ups ones installed. They are much brighter and more red than the OEM ones, look great!

Front door t8ups, OEM on rear:

Again, front door t8ups, OEM on rear:

All done:

In the dark:

Look awesome, much brighter and you can actually make out puddles now! Lol

Glovebox OEM:

Glovebox t8ups:

Happy times, on to the Footwells next....

Reactions: lucas-suisse, Rob2k68, K.A and 4 others
there is still 2 lights that are not LED, your back-up lights :ninja:

(and fog lights but I wouldn't mess with those)

there is still 2 lights that are not LED, your back-up lights :ninja:

(and fog lights but I wouldn't mess with those)

Good call on the reversing lights! Need to look in to that. My S3 has the LED lights so don't have front foglights. I have the LED all weather lights in the headlight cluster instead :)

I was talking about rear fog lights ;)

I am waiting for my LED reversing light, will keep you posted

you got any pics of the car at dusk with the sidelights on? and some of just the drls? love how the lights look in dusk.

you got any pics of the car at dusk with the sidelights on? and some of just the drls? love how the lights look in dusk.

Sadly not mate, not yet. The DRLs are epic :)

Blanks from here: Audi 12V Power Source Socket Dummy Cover Aluminium Finish - Stoke Audi Parts

Got unlimited plan from Three, including tethering so can use the in car Wifi. They don't change extra for 4G when it launches next month.

Like the look of the blanking plate you've chosen, in my imminent arrival you can't do a smoking pack delete so was considering the VW LED torch that used to come in the MPV's, but not sure if it will fit inside the ashtray with the lid down. Might use this option instead; good find.

So, on to my mods!

First up is the LED upgrade as supplied by t8ups on here. He's a top guy and I've dealt with him over a few years with my 8P etc. The kits he provides are top quality, highly recommended.

So even though my S3 has the optional LED lighting kit, the glovebox and door warning lights are still normal bulbs. The footwell and puddle lights are LED, but they only have a 1 LED per module and are not very bright or white. So t8ups suppled me with:

4 x Red LEDs for the door warning
4 x Upgraded white LEDs for the door puddle
1 x White LED for the glovebox

So far I've just fitted the doors and glovebox lights (footwell LEDs to follow when I get a chance)...

As you can see from below the Audi OEM LEDs (top) are pretty poor with only 1 LED per module, wheres as t8ups LEDs has 4:

I forgot to take before and after pics of the red door warning LEDs, so all pictures below have the t8ups ones installed. They are much brighter and more red than the OEM ones, look great!

Front door t8ups, OEM on rear:

Again, front door t8ups, OEM on rear:

All done:

In the dark:

Look awesome, much brighter and you can actually make out puddles now! Lol

Glovebox OEM:

Glovebox t8ups:

Happy times, on to the Footwells next....

Thanks Silky-S3 for this! I'm getting the same set from t8ups! ;)

Reactions: warren_S5
Is the above mentioned light change so easy that just take out the plastic light covers out, replace the bulb and put the plastic cover back on? And that makes about 3minutes per light? I was just wondering if those covering plastics are tight or not to take out etc.

Sorry to hijack your thread Silky, but I've just done the LED upgrade on my 8V, and the difference is worth it !

Thanks to t8ups for the LED modules.

LkinOlo.jpg

Reactions: t8ups and lucas-suisse
Is the above mentioned light change so easy that just take out the plastic light covers out, replace the bulb and put the plastic cover back on? And that makes about 3minutes per light? I was just wondering if those covering plastics are tight or not to take out etc.

It's not the covers you remove, you remove the actual lamp housing, then disconnect the electrical connector.

For reference:
(front = front of car, rear=rear of car)

White door puddle lamps: Lever out (carefully) from the rear of lamp
Red door trailing edge lamps: Lever (carefully) out from top of lamp
Glovebox white lamp: Lever out (carefully) from rear of lamp

Reactions: K.A
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401616369857032

Yes looks a lot brighter. Plus I think from audi the replacement white lights under the door for puddle lighting are only about £7 to replace if you break one like I did. Last stubborn one

The more I see of this Estoril blue the more I like :thumbs up:

It's not the covers you remove, you remove the actual lamp housing, then disconnect the electrical connector.

For reference:
(front = front of car, rear=rear of car)

White door puddle lamps: Lever out (carefully) from the rear of lamp
Red door trailing edge lamps: Lever (carefully) out from top of lamp
Glovebox white lamp: Lever out (carefully) from rear of lamp

Also just to add on my BW 6 Sportback for the REAR door white puddle lamps : Lever out (carefully) from the FRONT of lamp

I broke both mine and had to replace them at £28/pair so have a good look at where the little indent is on the lamp lens and lever from there.

Reactions: lucas-suisse and veeeight
Also just to add on my BW 6 Sportback for the REAR door white puddle lamps : Lever out (carefully) from the FRONT of lamp

I broke both mine and had to replace them at £28/pair so have a good look at where the little indent is on the lamp lens and lever from there.

THANKS+++ ! I was stuck with my 2 Rear doors white puddle lamps :) I confirm : Lever out from FRONT of lamp

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68
Hi guys,

Just thought I’d say bye, as I’ve been on this forum for 7 years+ I’d say, first with my 2006 A3 3.2 V6, then my highly modified 2010 8P S3, and then my 2013 8V S3, and I have to say it’s be great having the wealth of knowledge on here to call upon, and share my knowledge with you guys. I always thought the 8V forum was a bit of a negative place compared to the 8P forum, but that’s probably just me!

My 8V S3 had now been sold (sold it back to the Audi dealer who supplied new in 2013, and they have already sold it on!), and during my two and a bit years with it, it’s been a great car, totally faultless from a reliability point of view, and I gave it a hard life, giving it a good thrashing every day and doing 4 track days in it. However, it never excited me, and I always thought it was PlayStation like in its dynamics. It was just too boring, fast, yes, but no drama or driver engagement. On the edge it was also very floaty, and you had little idea of what each wheel was doing, which always frustrated me. Overall score 7/10.

I’m now waiting for delivery of my new Porsche Cayman GTS, and I can’t wait! I’ve already been on a Porsche experience day with a GTS down at Silverstone (you get the day free when you buy a Porsche), and after sliding around in it all day, smoke pouring off the tyres, I simply can’t wait to own a car that responds to every input you put into it. And the sound, OMG the sound. You can’t beat NA engines!

Just as a heads up I’m selling my MTM Cantronic box. This really turned the car into a beast, and made the performance of it like it should have been from the factory. I’ll put an ad up in the classifieds, but if anyone fancies it let me know. It’s totally immaculate, comes complete with original packaging, invoice (from QST), and the MTM boot badge (I never stuck it on!). I’ve no use for it now, so someone can get a bargain!

Anyway you never know I might be back in the Audi fold (always liked the look of the new RS6 estate), but for the timing being, thanks and see you around!

Reactions: veeeight and Tej13
Hi guys,

Just thought I’d say bye, as I’ve been on this forum for 7 years+ I’d say, first with my 2006 A3 3.2 V6, then my highly modified 2010 8P S3, and then my 2013 8V S3, and I have to say it’s be great having the wealth of knowledge on here to call upon, and share my knowledge with you guys. I always thought the 8V forum was a bit of a negative place compared to the 8P forum, but that’s probably just me!

My 8V S3 had now been sold (sold it back to the Audi dealer who supplied new in 2013, and they have already sold it on!), and during my two and a bit years with it, it’s been a great car, totally faultless from a reliability point of view, and I gave it a hard life, giving it a good thrashing every day and doing 4 track days in it. However, it never excited me, and I always thought it was PlayStation like in its dynamics. It was just too boring, fast, yes, but no drama or driver engagement. On the edge it was also very floaty, and you had little idea of what each wheel was doing, which always frustrated me. Overall score 7/10.

I’m now waiting for delivery of my new Porsche Cayman GTS, and I can’t wait! I’ve already been on a Porsche experience day with a GTS down at Silverstone (you get the day free when you buy a Porsche), and after sliding around in it all day, smoke pouring off the tyres, I simply can’t wait to own a car that responds to every input you put into it. And the sound, OMG the sound. You can’t beat NA engines!

Just as a heads up I’m selling my MTM Cantronic box. This really turned the car into a beast, and made the performance of it like it should have been from the factory. I’ll put an ad up in the classifieds, but if anyone fancies it let me know. It’s totally immaculate, comes complete with original packaging, invoice (from QST), and the MTM boot badge (I never stuck it on!). I’ve no use for it now, so someone can get a bargain!

Anyway you never know I might be back in the Audi fold (always liked the look of the new RS6 estate), but for the timing being, thanks and see you around!
All the best @Silky-S3 , been great learning about all your projects - especially the 8P which was superb! Sorry I couldn't make it work for your Cantronic, but for what it's worth I will say you were right - turns the car into an animal!
Agree to an extent with your observations on the forum too!
Enjoy the new machine!

Reactions: Silky-S3