Silicon Turbo Pipes

Austineer

King of cabs ;)
Reaction score
Guys,

I am interested in getting a set of silicon turbo pipes (including Turbo intake) for my car and was wondering if any of you guys could provide me with any feedback on the following:-

a) Any noticable increase in performance, whether throughout the rev range or just at top end.
b) Any noticable differences in boost pressure readings.
c) Any noticable difference in noise.

Comments would be much appreciated from people have actually got these fitted as I dont always trust the manufacturers which tend to promise the world and actually end up giving almost nothing.

[ QUOTE ]
welshdragon said:
a) Any noticable increase in performance, whether throughout the rev range or just at top end.

[/ QUOTE ]

No noticable difference at all...they look pretty...are a pain to fit...and add nothing quantifiable on a dyno.
I got no extra urge at all...

[ QUOTE ]

b) Any noticable differences in boost pressure readings.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all honesty...no.
I measured 0.1 ish of a bar at a peak of 1.8 bar - probably just the difference between the standard hose expanding and the Samco hose not.

I also added a second bespoke IC (large capacity, more efficient core) and all new modified pipework at the same time...0.1 bar could be due to any of the above...or the pressure sensor on the dyno. I gained no measured performance!

[ QUOTE ]

c) Any noticable difference in noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Nothing.

[ QUOTE ]

Comments would be much appreciated from people have actually got these fitted as I dont always trust the manufacturers which tend to promise the world and actually end up giving almost nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you say...everything promised...nothing delivered.

They look good...

...and they won't split at silly boost levels (like 1.8 bar +) and you can get much bigger clamps of them to prevent the hoses blowing off - a problem I had!

They are a pig to fit though!

They look good...

...and they won't split at silly boost levels (like 1.8 bar +) and you can get much bigger clamps of them to prevent the hoses blowing off - a problem I had!

They are a pig to fit though!

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny enough My TIP had slipped off the other day when playing about down there with the N75. I Slacked off the clamp and pushed it back onto the turbo & then re-tightend back up, 30 secs later the thing slipped back off again. It took me 4 attempts to get it to bite reasonably well on the turbo but to be perfectly honest I am worried that the thing may come off again. Its just a [censored] fit on the A4, and guess from your statement its prob not much better than the S3. The only thing that gave me a little peace of mind is that I know that the end of this pipe is under suction at this point which sould help it stay in place. So this is also one of the reasons I am tempted with the Samco pipes with their beefier clamps.

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:Im no mechanic but on the S3 they were an absolute doddle to fit! Maybe your bespoke IC's caused probs glenn or maybe i was lucky but the TIP was real easy and hardest thing about the IC pipes is removing the front bumper - 10 mins!

Oh, yeah i almost forgot that hidden bolt in the headlight, that took me ages to find!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe your mother ticked the "titanium / kevlar finger option" when she was speccing you up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've had the misfortune of having to fit / refit some of the hoses and they are awful to fit properly using proper clamps. Difficult to get to, stiff, and unpleasant altogether...

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:Im no mechanic but on the S3 they were an absolute doddle to fit! Maybe your bespoke IC's caused probs glenn or maybe i was lucky but the TIP was real easy and hardest thing about the IC pipes is removing the front bumper - 10 mins!

Oh, yeah i almost forgot that hidden bolt in the headlight, that took me ages to find!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe your mother ticked the "titanium / kevlar finger option" when she was speccing you up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've had the misfortune of having to fit / refit some of the hoses and they are awful to fit properly using proper clamps. Difficult to get to, stiff, and unpleasant altogether...

[/ QUOTE ]

With all the hoses disconnected, its pretty straight forward. A little awkward, yes, but not by any means a hard job.

Rich

Someone else mentioned the OEM TIP is difficult to remove too. Maybe as my car is relatively new, it came off easier but it must be easy as i struggle to change the oil filter!

Theres more than enough room if you remove the airbox completely and use a little mirror to see what your doing turbo end! Run around the inside edges of the OEM hoses with a plastic spatula or alike if they wont pull off straight away!

The samco's fit easily and, i found them slightly longer than the originals so they aren't strained into position.

I take it your not a surgeon then David_R?