Sidelight issue

rizzini7

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Right to start off I'm not very mechanically minded!!!

My rear drivers sidelight (one on car, not boot?) started off pulsating then died altogether. (Engine running and off)
Now passenger front sidelight bulb is out as well. I have just changed the rear bulbs and they work on and off (put new bulbs in and didn't work, until I started car?) Don't seem to flicker when engines running but pulse a little when engine is off. I'm assume this could be a current issue? Where do I start? Obviously the front bulb needs changing. Bumper off headlight out job :(.

Sorry for my rubbish description. Thanks for any help in advance

P.s passenger rear and driver front are fine

Can't help you with pulsating brake light issue, but you DON'T need to remove the bumper to do your side lights Matey....they are a headf&ck but doable from the engine bay access so av been told. You will need to remove the airbox if it's the offside bulb that needs changing. Check the changing bulb thread ...there's plenty of advice from crazed Forum members who have done it.....
BTW....Wouldn't be an alternator issue would it?

Cheers
A

Brake lights are fine also, front is passenger l/h side (washer side). Also I've got the adaptive xenons and a v6 lump so no hands going in there :( I had a little try earlier and couldn't see the bulb let alone get to it.

leave bumper on
get someone with small hands
and just pull the fukker as hard as you can to pop it out

Don't think it's possible to get to but I'll have another look tomorrow. Just managed to undo cover earlier but couldn't see bulb or get my hand in there as the light unit is so deep. I didn't want to go messing near all the cables to much. Any ideas on pulsating guys? Cheers

Front bulb changed and working. The rear is still hit and miss. But, the brake light works fine. So I'm guessing earth or power issue. So, where's the best place to start looking

Was about to say it might be down to the bulb being in the wrong way, but not sure if that's even possible with the rears as I dunno what bulbs they are.

Have had similar issues with front sidelights before that we're resolved by turning the bulb around though.

Well it looks like the pin has fried off in the connector. Assume you can't just change the connector easily as it looks sealed and wired all the way to the front of the car.
Have just pushed it very tight onto the pins and seems to be working at the moment. Also can you just buy a new light back plate or does it have to be a whole light unit?

Well appears my fix has now worn off. Is it possible to buy a new bulb holder? Is it hard to change the plug?
And if I was to buy new led ones which are the best to be looking at?

Thanks in advance

Yes Mate, you can buy a new side bulb holder which come wae about 10cm of cable. Shock Horror ...they are about a tenner!...Tr8ups also sells them I believe...but not 100%.

Cheers
A

Nice one, will pop into Tps. Didn't fancy a whole new light unit as they seem pricey looking on eBay. I maybe lucky, looks like the bit of pin has come out of the plug so it's just the bulb holder that's faulty now as one of the pins has burnt off.

Yeagh, good luck.....must say not impressed with the lifespan of those led sidelights. Mine have only lasted a few weeks. May swap back to standard sidelight bulbs if I could just find a brand that weren't yellow coloured. The H7's from Tr8ups seem to be doing well so far though.

Cheers
A