1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show your buckets!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Paradox1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Feb 14, 2012]
    I'm really toying with the idea of fitting buckets in my 18T,even better now im getting my sister vw for next to nothing.what is a good brand to go for? I think I'll use some a3 runners and bolt the buckets to them so I can take them out if needs be.any pictures of yours seats would be nice
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Feb 15, 2012]
    The old setup from my car -

[​IMG]
  4. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Feb 15, 2012]
    biggest problem you're going to have is mounting them mate.

Fitting buckets properly requires a LOT of work in order to be 100% safe and have an adaquate seatbelt fixing in the centre of the tunnel.

there are some subframes around, but most are a poor fit, and none I've seen yet offer a mounting for the seatbelt on the trans tunnel side. The stock belt clip is built into the base of the factory seat, so when you remove the seat, you lose the centre belt clip.

So, whether you're refitting standard seatbelts, or fitting harnesses, you need to recreate a strong mount for the seatbelt on the trans tunnel.

Also, the other issue is that most after market subframes mount the seats too high up, unless you're short, in which case it won't bother you so much!

To fit my seats, I removed all the standard runners, and welded in some cross members, with 3mm plate at each end. Seam welded into the tunnel and the sill:

[​IMG]

Same process for the harness mounts, with a captive nut welded into the back and let through the tunnel with a hole saw.

First set of seats: Cobra monacos, steel framed, 10kg each. Looked nice, but not much support and not very comfy.

[​IMG]

Second set of seats, RMD maximum protection, GRP shells, 6kg per seat, ultra comfy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Feb 15, 2012]
    I've also been toying with the idea of bucket seats. I have spoke to Prawn about this quite a bit and have decided to go with the same seats he has. I had a little sit in them at Ace Cafe and they fit perfectly.
  6. Jason.s

Jason.s Active Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    Putting in rails like Prawn has is the best option but does require the carpet to be hacked up a bit so depends if you want that to happen. I went to a place all my friends go to which is an FIA approved welders too and he qouted about £130 inc materials to do the job. Wish i could weld! lol
  7. Prawn

[Feb 15, 2012]
    That sounds mighty cheap to me! wish i'd gone there!

mine cost me about £40 in box section and steel plate and paint, and took 3 days of work by the time I'd cut out all the standard runners and made and welded in the new ones!
  8. Jason.s

Jason.s Active Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    He did the same job for my mates S14 track car for like £75 and then charges me more! Was a bit put off with that but seeing as i cant do it myself and dont know anyone else to do it i`ll have to bite the bullet.

He did qoute about £40 for materials and welding and then 90 for labour. I originally wanted to retain the runners so the missus could move the seat fowards and back but he said its a lot more work and the seat would sit really high so fixed position it is. Doesnt bother me as thats what i`d prefer but the missus kicks off a bit haha.
  9. Westy

[Feb 15, 2012]
    That is cheap considering just a set of generic mounts like the following are over £100:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
  10. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    Thanks for the info guys. Prawn, can you move you seats or are they fixed. Last thing I want is to fit them and fins I'm hugging the steering wheel
  11. Jason.s

Jason.s Active Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    You`ll have small adjustment in the mounting holes on the sidemounts but thats about it...which is about an inch at max F and B. Height is a bit more, obviously you have to unbolt the seat, move it and bolt it back up.

All depends on what mounts you get though. From pics Prawns has a few more holes than my OMP low profiles.

Oh and by the way...that £130 was just for 1 seat not the pair..
  12. Westy

[Feb 15, 2012]
    The seats I'm going to buy come on slider runners so that when they are fitted to the mounting plates I can still slide them back and forth for adjustment and letting rear passengers in.
  13. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Feb 15, 2012]
    Yeh sliders on the welded in rails should work alright i would have thaught. They're only adding an inch or so.

Jason, there was a guy on SRS that had custom made subframes for a B5. They were available with and without the sliding mechanism and he'd worked pretty hard to get them nice and low. He was advertising them as a group buy for a while. Werent that dear either.
  14. Jason.s

Jason.s Active Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    Interesting..got any links perhaps? Im not on SRS so probably take me an age to find it.
  15. aragorn

[Feb 15, 2012]
  16. Prawn

[Feb 15, 2012]
    it's all about taking your time and making sure they're in the right place before you weld anything in!

i spent hours moving the seat around on wooden blocks and making marks before cutting any material at all, measure 10x, cut once in this instance.

if you take your time and offer the seat in on blocks first you'll find somewhere that suits you and your driving style, then just build your mounts to suit.

I used a beam hung across the sills to make sure my rails were perfectly even heights and level left to right, and measured off various chassis points to ensure they were even on each side too, as there's nothing worse than bolting two seats in and they're at different angles / heights.

I did try fitting runners under my seats at one point to make it easier for Dad to drive, but even with brand new expensive Sparco double locking runners there was too much play, and it was un nerving, so I removed them again straight away before I even drove it.
  17. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    I can't weld so will have to get it done by someone else. My mechanic has a track car and has done his own buckets so ill see what price he will do mine for.my brother,sister drive my car aswell so will need to have adjustments in the seating position
  18. aragorn

[Feb 15, 2012]
    The B5 frames above can be configured to use the standard locking pin at the front.

This gives you 4 or 5 positions about an inch apart you can set the seat to, and it shouldnt be any less solid than the fixed frame as they both use the same mounting point.

Surely someone makes decent runners though?
  19. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    Thanks prawn,like you said I think ill tale my time get the seats first as I'm still not completely decided. And plan it out first