ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
We got the Interior Picture thread and the A4 B5 Picture thread

I
think its time to get a Engine bay thread going.
So lets see your engine bay and read about any thing you've done to it.

Here is mine.

IMAG0792.jpg

Pre-facelift 1.9 TDI.
Facelift scuttle panel.
Passat B5.5 ABS Cover.
Air box.
Blanket off and removed EGR valve.
I need to get a new brake fluid reservoir as my current one is starting to seep and i'd like a new white coolant reservoir.
The hole bay needs a clean and a dress.

Only one i have from when i first bought the car

DSC00021.jpg

2.8 V6 30v with 138,000 on it
K&N panel filter
Remapped
Custom straight thru s/s exh

Plan to clean it up a bit, add new header tank to freshen it up, then installing this in the near future....

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

PES G2 supercharger kit

Mine at the minute got plans to tidy it up a bit and get the rocker and inlet painted and a new header tank.

495c5b1e.jpg

Covers? I threw all of mine away.

They just get in the way when you want to do anything under there, not to mention being completely dead weight.

I dont see the point of tarting up the engine bay by hiding everything. If you want under the bonnet to be clean and tidy then go ahead, but covering everything with plastic tat is just rubbish. You may as well just leave the bonnet shut, as that does an even better job of hiding the engine than all the plastic crap does. I want to see the engine, the manifolds, pipes, etc etc. Thats whats supposed to be under a bonnet!

Out of all the photos posted, i like Marks the best. It needs a new/clean washer bottle/PAS reservoir to replace the yellowed items, removal of some of the useless pipework on the bulkhead and a airbox lid without the ICM bit to remove some of the clutter over there and it'd be spot on. Oh and that blue samco replaced with a black one!

Reactions: AndyC
[h=2]cov·er[/h]   [kuhv-er] Show IPA
verb (used with object)1.to be or serve as a covering for; extend over; rest on the surface of: Snowcovered the fields.

2.to place something over or upon, as for protection, concealment, or warmth.

3.to provide with a covering or top: Cover the pot with a lid.

4.to protect or conceal (the body, head, etc.) with clothes, a hat, etc; wrap.

5.to bring upon (oneself): He covered himself with glory by his exploits.

They just get in the way when you want to do anything under there, not to mention being completely dead weight.
If the car is running fine and you have no need to work on it every week, they should not get in the way and a couple of grams are not really going to make a massive different to the power to weight of our 2ton cars.

I dont see the point of tarting up the engine bay by hiding everything. If you want under the bonnet to be clean and tidy then go ahead, but covering everything with plastic tat is just rubbish. You may as well just leave the bonnet shut, as that does an even better job of hiding the engine than all the plastic crap does. I want to see the engine, the manifolds, pipes, etc etc. Thats whats supposed to be under a bonnet!
Thats you're opinion and ours are that we like the "plastic tat". Even more so when some of us don't have time or incline to clean the oil, pipes, metal plastic and even more so when all of that does not look articulately nice. If it was a V8 or some form of V or W engine, than I'd agree with you.

Out of all the photos posted, i like Marks the best. It needs a new/clean washer bottle/PAS reservoir to replace the yellowed items, removal of some of the useless pipework on the bulkhead and a airbox lid without the ICM bit to remove some of the clutter over there and it'd be spot on. Oh and that blue samco replaced with a black one!
Just get a cover, its cheaper and easier than replacing the bottles.

For those of you like engine covers and prefer them over your pipes, cables and discoloured bottles, I've PMed Stoke Audi to see if they can sort out some form of group of guy on the covers.
If they come back with a group buy thats worth it and the admins/mods are happy, I'll get one running and see what we can do. I need a new battery cover.

If you dont have the time or inclination to do it properly, why not just leave the bonnet closed.

That way you've got a huge shiney polished cover thats even color coded to the rest of the bodywork, and came with the car, to look at instead.

IMO, the only reason to open the bonnet is either to maintain the car, or to show off the machinery that resides under there, ie the engine. Opening the bonnet to show off some plastic covers that hide everything doesnt make any sense. Why open one cover to look at another cover?

If you dont have the time or inclination to do it properly, why not just leave the bonnet closed.

That way you've got a huge shiney polished cover thats even color coded to the rest of the bodywork, and came with the car, to look at instead.

IMO, the only reason to open the bonnet is either to maintain the car, or to show off the machinery that resides under there, ie the engine. Opening the bonnet to show off some plastic covers that hide everything doesnt make any sense. Why open one cover to look at another cover?

Not everything has to be about function, some people do like a bit of looks.
my bonnet gets opened once every couple of weeks to check the fluids and I like to look at a nice tidy engine bay covered in plastic. Cause no mater what I did to my bay would it look as good as it does with covers and i'm not willing to start rerouteing cables, pipes, tubes to make it look but when I can spent a couple of pound, slap some plastic on and walk away.
I've not molested the engine in any way.

If I had machinery underneath that was worth showing off I would but a 4 pot TDI lump is not really showing off material and some people prefer looking at a plastic covered engine over the engine pipes, cables and space.

Do you have any thing machinery to show off?
Your 4pots or the V8?

My V8's just a garage ornament at the moment. My working cars both have 1.8T's.

I recon you could make a 1.9TDi look pretty cool, folk manage it with clarty old 8v golf engines and similar so no reason why not, but i agree it would obviously take some effort.

Its obviously a personal taste thing. I like to open a bonnet and see an engine, with all of its ancillaries on display. If i wanted to hide everything, i'd just leave the bonnet closed. It ****** me off when you open a bonnet of a nice car, uncover an expanse of plastic with "V10" or whatever emblazoned across it, and you get morons going "phwoa! check out that engine", when in reality you could have a 1.0 3cyl hidden under there and it would look exactly the same!

You do realise i'm just winding you up, and you've taken the bait quite nicely? :p

My V8's just a garage ornament at the moment. My working cars both have 1.8T's.

I recon you could make a 1.9TDi look pretty cool, folk manage it with clarty old 8v golf engines and similar so no reason why not, but i agree it would obviously take some effort.

Its obviously a personal taste thing. I like to open a bonnet and see an engine, with all of its ancillaries on display. If i wanted to hide everything, i'd just leave the bonnet closed. It ****** me off when you open a bonnet of a nice car, uncover an expanse of plastic with "V10" or whatever emblazoned across it, and you get morons going "phwoa! check out that engine", when in reality you could have a 1.0 3cyl hidden under there and it would look exactly the same!

You do realise i'm just winding you up, and you've taken the bait quite nicely? :p

Fkn fishermen!! lol

You know how many different edits I did of my last post?
It went from aggressive, insulting, 1 word answers and then what I posted. lol
I guess you owed me.

Opening a bay and looking at a nice clean 8v golf or V8 chevy in a capri is sex but with newer modern engines I don't think it works so well, I'm not talking about super cars.
Our only option, unless you want to spend more time and effort than its really worth making it a clean engine bay is to put plastic on and tart it up that way. Just my thoughts thought. :)
First time I opens up my dads bonnet it was a sea of plastic with V10 stamped in the middle, I was really let down cause I wanted to see this magnificent V10 5L TDI engine. I stripped all the plastic off and was even more let down.

For us, I feel its plastic covers, unless you go mental and clean and polish every thing.

Show us your engine bay Mr derailer. :)

Last edited:
For any one that is interested in engine covers. :)

Stoke Audi can supply the covers via their VW branch.

3B0 119 487 C £37.09

3B0119487C.jpg

This one is different to the airbox cover I got and different to what some of you lot are running at the moment.
It appears to be a little bit longer and will go to the bulk head and match the above cover better.
3B0 133 849 A £21.71

3B0133849A.jpg

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here.

I am lucky enough to have Audi mad parents, who owned an rs6. Just the engine cover alone was more then worth popping the bonnet...

RS6_fixer_5.jpg

I like the engine covers as the engines that are designed to sit beneath them arent the most exciting to look at, mainly because Audi knew they were going to slap some covers on.

Oh and scott, you got fished. Report him to a mod.....that's not gonna work.

Last edited:
Its just bits of carbon though? Its not the engine, its actually two air filters, some intake ducting and a piece of trim telling you its an Audi V8 with two turbochargers.

All engines look more or less the same. You've got a valve cover (or two if its a V), some manifolds, and some form of fuel delivery and ignition. The difference between this:

1009trweb_08%2B2010_relaxin_in_socal_truck_show%2Bfuel_injected_big_block_v8.jpg

and this:

5O45U55S13m83pc3ofbanc63d1051ea3e125b.jpg

is simply some time and effort.

The old skool big block didnt leave the factory like that, it probably left the factory looking something like this:

400.jpg

So its quite simply my view that if you want to make the ENGINE look nice, then make it look nice. If you dont, leave the bonnet closed.

Its just bits of carbon though? Its not the engine, its actually two air filters, some intake ducting and a piece of trim telling you its an Audi V8 with two turbochargers.

All engines look more or less the same. You've got a valve cover (or two if its a V), some manifolds, and some form of fuel delivery and ignition.

The old skool big block didnt leave the factory like that, it probably left the factory looking something like this:

400.jpg

So its quite simply my view that if you want to make the ENGINE look nice, then make it look nice. If you dont, leave the bonnet closed.

Didn't know they made engines that looked like link fail pics.. I believe that scott's thread wasn't show us your nice, clean, butch engine though, it was show us your bay?

Anyway, Scott, you need all the plastic you can get to cover up that oil burner.

Time gentlemen!!! lol

"I like covers.....but i like engines too.....but which is best.....FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Idividuality is the key ingredient here, lets leave it at that!

I plan to be able to show what i can of the charger and ancillaries off, as it should be shown i think, but will have a couple of areas covered, not too much, and hopefully can make them in carbon fibre, if i can be ar$ed that is!!!:whip:

stop with the older engines.
show us a modern 2000+ engine that falls in with your likes.
I doubt its possible to make them look as good as the older engines.

Scott, my point was, look at the mess that is a bone stock big block chevvy, then how it looks after some time and effort has been put into it.
It doesnt look good because its old, it looks good because the owner has made it look good. Painting, chroming, cleaning, color co-ordination, neatness, decluttering etc.

The same goes for a new engine. Theres no reason they cant look good. Chrome might not work as well, as it'll probably look out of place, but apply the same principles and you'll get a equally good result.

Some random examples of cool looking modern engines i've pulled from google in 5 minutes (mostly 1.8t's as it happens):

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4020/66040158822457474252100.jpg
VW Golf Mk1 1.8T Big Turbo Conversion 330bhp hand built, Adam Martin Picture | CoverCars.com
Der Wolfsburg Rennsport: Matt Kappen's Mk2 Golf 1.8t Syncro
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SD__6Nl2Z...U/DFvgzRtIiGI/s1600/H88-BMW-E34-M5-Engine.jpg

scott b5:1432213 said:
For any one that is interested in engine covers. :)

Stoke Audi can supply the covers via their VW branch.

3B0 119 487 C £37.09

3B0119487C.jpg

This one is different to the airbox cover I got and different to what some of you lot are running at the moment.
It appears to be a little bit longer and will go to the bulk head and match the above cover better.
3B0 133 849 A £21.71

3B0133849A.jpg
the expensive one is the one you have Scott?

You should fit all those covers, then fibreglass over the gaps between each one, extend them to cover the remaining gaps towards the bulkhead and slampanel, smooth it all in then paint the whole assembly body color.

Then when you open your bonnet, it'll be like having a second bonnet underneath!!! :idea:

You should fit all those covers, then fibreglass over the gaps between each one, extend them to cover the remaining gaps towards the bulkhead and slampanel, smooth it all in then paint the whole assembly body color.

Then when you open your bonnet, it'll be like having a second bonnet underneath!!! :idea:

Now you're being daft.
I'm still waiting for you to show me a good clean modern uncovered engine.

Ive changed the header tank for a nice new one since taking this

engine-1.jpg