1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I extend my warrenty?

Backdrifts Nov 9, 2006

1. Backdrifts

Backdrifts Member

hay ho folks,

I've just bought an S3 last week, I was wondering if you knowledgeable people think its worth while for me to extend the warranty? The previous owner has had it extended and reckons it was worth it for the peace of mind because he had a few things that needed changed like the indicator relay, the boot lock and one of the xenon bulbs (god knows how he managed to get that changed on warranty.) the car is a 2002 52 plate with 45000 on the clock and a full Audi service history.

A couple of my mates who are mechanics reckon its not worth me doing it, but its easy for them to say because they have access to trade price bits plus all the tools to change the parts!

Also do you think it would be a bit cheeky to take it down to Audi and say I don't think its running right can you do a diagnostics check on it? I just want to make sure the car is sound and I'm not running it with any problems.

I think the warrenty runs out in may, i'll double check it.

2. garratt83

garratt83 Member

Better check the warrently wasn't just for the previous owner. If its still under warrenty have a good drive in it, check everything is working fully, all lights, handing, any knocking, loose bits. Even if its something small. Then if you find something take it down and point them out. Then when its booked add a few more things to it.

I say this cos if you take it in and say can you check it over they will prob just let it sit there for a day and say everything is fine.

Regards the warrenty, how much they going to rob you of. When I got mine I was offered a RAC warrenty for 399 for a year. Didn't get it. Had the car for 3 months now and its been in for a new cat, lam sensor, fuel sensor and mass air flow meter. Lucky it came with a 3 month warrenty so no charge, but worried if it goes wrong its going to cost a bit.

Just remember a stealer will charge you around £80 an hour for labour (audi stealer that is).

3. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

Try £100 or even more in the south east!

4. madvw

madvw Active Member

warranty is your call. how paranoid are you? An audi warranty is going to be over a grand for a years cover.

As for driving in and asking for a diagnostics - it may work, it might not. Terms of the warranty say that they are allowed to charge for diagnostic work - so the wort case is that you'll be charded 1/2 - 1 hour's labor for a fault scan.

5. Backdrifts

Backdrifts Member

the warrenty is 17 quid to trasfer i think, and i think its 800 quid to extend it.

6. garratt83

garratt83 Member

I would pay 17 for the transfer and leave it at that 800 is alot of money. Its lower mileage.

Whats the car like?

Does it look like its had a hard life?

Its up to you, but least you've got till May to make up your mind.

7. Backdrifts

Backdrifts Member

she is in really good nick apart from 1 stone chip on the bonnet, its got a full Audi service history too which is reassuring, plus its just been through a service.

its had 2 previous owners, one of them is a solicitor, the other is a car sale man who used it and a bmw m3 as his own car. but I suppose its hard to tell if a car has had a hard life if it doesn't have any obvious signs of wear and tear.