1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I delete my DPF?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Djwoody, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Baza1819

Baza1819 Member

[Sep 4, 2012]
  2. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 5, 2012]
    Before you consider deleting the DPF you should read the article in the Newsweek section of this week's Auto Express.

Basically it says, that under new EU proposals, any kind of modification could mean the car fails the MOT. If the proposal gets the green light then "components of the vehicle must comply with characteristics at the time of first registration" effectively outlawing any deviation from the factory specification. This would make the rest of the EU the same as the situation in Germany. Any car fitted or modified in any way that is not TUV (the German car testing authority) approved would mean the car would fail an MOT. This would include wheels, bodykits, headlights and even towbars.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  3. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

[Sep 6, 2012]
    £400? Most decent remaps will cost you this alone, unless you got it done heavily discounted that price is a good £200 off a realistic price for the job to be done properly.
    Brodster likes this.
  4. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Sep 6, 2012]
    And how is anyone going to be able to determine whether or not the DPF has been deleted because when done properly you cant unless you remove the cannister and cut it open. Some places will fit a by-pass pipe which isnt recommended but by removing the internals and keeping the cannister everything within the engine bay is how it should be.
  5. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

[Sep 6, 2012]
    They've been talking about this for years & its never happened yet, a couple of other things to consider is that with this kind of ruling they would effectively scupper an entire industry (vehicle modifictaion) & all of the tax revenue it generates from it various sources, also like nearly all new rulings that are introduced they wouldn't be able to retrospectively enforce it as the implications would probably cause mass riots.
  6. Baza1819

Baza1819 Member

[Sep 8, 2012]
    Well £200 for the remap & £50 for the dpf delete software was a fare price - it was discounted for being a forum member. Any half decent mechanic can remove the dpf from the exhaust - this cost me £100 but that was exceptionaly cheap ( from a pal ). Its alot more work if its the quattro like mine, but £150 is the going rate for my local garages.
  7. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

[Sep 8, 2012]
    The smoke test will determine whether there is an effective DPF fitted.
    For example, my car passed its MOT last week with a smoke level of 0.06 with its DPF functioning normally. This is around one twentyfifth of the pass level. Without the DPF you would expect the car to be very close to the pass level. Even if the smoke test was passed it would be obvious the DPF was not working correctly or was just pretending to be present.
    The next logical step will be to reduce the smoke test pass level to reflect the fact that the vehicle under test has a DPF as standard equipment.
  8. carlsarrou

carlsarrou UnderwaterPilot

[Sep 8, 2012]
    hi, i have at 2.0tdi 170 and found out that my DPF has been 'gutted' although i didnt know it when i bought it. The car does give off a real exhaust smell which you can smell when idle aswell as the exhaust rear pipe blacking up within the week. My EMU and Turbo were replaced last year at AUDI in stirling, this is when they revealed i had no DPF filter. it still continues to smell. HOW can i remedy this, another remap? stainless steel exhaust and remap? very much appreciate any suggestions and venues for this. i live in central scotland but work in WATFORD, so pretty much either end of the country really.
  9. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 8, 2012]
    One way to rid the smell is buy a petrol lol

Seriously though all modern diesels stink. BMWs are the same and they have dpfs fitted.
    carlsarrou likes this.
  10. carlsarrou

carlsarrou UnderwaterPilot

[Sep 8, 2012]
    Seriously though, this is my 3rd AUDI Diesel (2 x A4's) this does smell more than it should do!
  11. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 8, 2012]
    Well put a dpf back on it then
  12. Baza1819

Baza1819 Member

[Sep 25, 2012]
    Bigfish tuning is excellent, much cheaper than most of the other tunning places - talks you through everything !
    He's based in Stokesley in teeside - check his website - top bloke !