1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Buy Extended Warranty for my 2001 A4 2.8?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by imported_Baldkingpin, Jul 9, 2004.

1. imported_Baldkingpin

imported_Baldkingpin Guest

[Jul 9, 2004]
    I've got a fully loaded 2001 A4 2.8 quattro that has 26,000 miles. The 4 yr./50k warranty expires in about 6 weeks. I just had some major in-warranty tranny work done by the dealer (there was an almost imperceptible clunking when I'd approach a stop, dealer went through a long protocol and ended up replacing the throttle body). With the exception of this issue, the car has been pretty trouble-free.

The extended warranty I'm considering gives me another 4 years and up to 100k miles and will cost $1800. It is very inclusive, covers everything but maintenance and a short list of non-covered parts that don't really concern me. Worth it? I plan on keeping the car for another 3-4 years so I guess the question is whether I'm likely to incur over $1800 in warranty-covered expenses in that timeframe. I suppose that having the car in warranty when I sell it will also be of value.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has an A4 with higher miles, any mechanics out there or anyone who could provide some insight into my decision. Please feel free to e-mail me directly at avilalaw1@yahoo.com. Thanks a lot!

David
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. HotSauce

HotSauce Member

[Jul 9, 2004]
    If it were me, yes. As sad as it is, almost any mechanical failure on an Audi is expensive. If something breaks once, it almost pays for itself. Just think about the little things, like when check engine lights come on. Right there can be $600 easily.

Also, you will maintain those little things, that will keep the car nice, and help it keep its value.
  4. imported_ZeroK66

imported_ZeroK66 Guest

[Jul 9, 2004]
    I just bought a 2.8 98 model. I took out an extended warranty, if I was you I would, things are so pricey if they ever go wrong... well worth it, specially as it is fully loaded!
  5. NigelS4

NigelS4 New Member

[Jul 10, 2004]
    where did you get the extended warranty from? That sounds like a pretty good price, and I'm looking for one myself
  6. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

[Jul 10, 2004]
    I agree. AN extended warranty is usually a good deal and a good investment. Peace of mind is always a good feeling.
  7. K212

K212 Member

[Jul 10, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ImolaS4 said:
    I agree. AN extended warranty is usually a good deal and a good investment. Peace of mind is always a good feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you have a warranty, usually you can't mod the car. Or at least that was how it was with my dealership.
  8. qA4Blake

qA4Blake New Member

[Jul 10, 2004]
    Ive had my 98.5 A4 2.8 since October and already had 1600 dollars in minor repairs. I say the warranty is well worth it.
  9. Kevint

Kevint Active Member

[Jul 10, 2004]
    I've got a 99 1.8T with 59K on the clock. At 56K the gearbox went (under extended warranty), covering the cost of the warranty many times over. Not only did I get a new gearbox but a free car for 10 days whilst it was repaired.

The deal you've found sounds like a wise investment to me.

Kev.