Should I buy an Elise?

Moresauce

Reaction score
Website
www.planet-audi.net
Think it is time to change the car and looking at a 2yr old Elise. I think they rock etc.

Give me your thoughts guys!

The S2000 is better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Whats the car for? Second car for the weekend or primary car?

If you consider the Elise, it would be rude not to consider the VX220 as well, IMO it is a fantastic car.

Yes, you should buy an Elise.

Like Mof says though, the VX220 shouldn`t be ignored, they are very good and very good value.

Guys,
Really like the Elise but the VX220 is just to 'Vauxhall' for me, particularly the interior! I know it is a great car but just badge snobbery!!!

It would be my main car and so I would get a hard top too!

Excellent cars. Extremely good fun and very nice to drive considering the "spartan" interior. My mate bought an "Exige" a couple of months ago.(gets bored of cars very easily) but can't get enough of this little machine. This one has had a Bell & Colville upgrade and has a 0-60 of 3.7 secs!!

Toby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

No doubt that the Elise is a great car. I think it depends on the mileage you do. If you'd be using it for a long commute everyday I reckon you'd get fed up with it pretty quickly. A friend of mine had one which he was using everyday, he sold it in the end because it was too impractical.

The fun you could have at the weekend on a challenging backroad may make up for some discomfort during the week though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'd take a look at the VX220, IMO they look better than the Elise and they're a bit more exclusive purely because there's less of them about.

Good luck with the choice, one of lifes great pleasures choosing a new car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Christian

[ QUOTE ]
Moresauce said:
Guys,
Really like the Elise but the VX220 is just to 'Vauxhall' for me, particularly the interior! I know it is a great car but just badge snobbery!!!

It would be my main car and so I would get a hard top too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Would have to agree there... i hve nothing against the VX220.. and 4.7 to 60 is pretty rapid... But at the end of the day, it is still a Vauxhall. Just my snobby opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif!

Rich

If you decide that you want a Elise or VX220 and shun the S2000 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif you have to seriously consider the Turbo version of the VX220. Its in another league to the Elise. 0-60 in 4.7 secs and a 0-100 in a virtually Ferrari matching 11 secs says it all!

Be careful of modded Elises. In the press this week, there has been a lot of talk about 'damaged' engines due to modifying.

IMO the VX220 is a cracking looking car. But both of these cars are summer weekenders only, is that the intention? If it is why not a Caterham R300???

I really fancy the VX220 turbo.. you could always take the badge off the front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Or an Exige .. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

The hill I live on though, I don't think either would get down it - even the s3 and the Golf scrape the bottom!!!

Ta for the info guys!

The S2000 is a top car and certainly has bags of power and could be used all year around and I have know problem with the badge, but just at the top of my price band.

The VX220 is a cracking car and Clarkson speaks very highyl of it but it just doesn't 'flick my switch' for want of a better phrase! I sat it one and even though it is so different I could hear the dash saying 'Vectra'

This would be a most of the year car for me( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) and seems that most people think this is possible???

I personally could not handle an Elise all year round. Too sparse inside, not even carpets in earlier models.

I think you need a drive in the S2000, all badge snobbery will soon disapear, it did for me! Oh yeah, its faster than most Elise's too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, its got THE fastest electric hood (6 secs), Air Con, and sounds like a Ferrari (nearly) at the redline /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

How you getting on with the S2000 Andy? Anymore scalps taken at the traffic light Grand Prix, any tail out moments? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cheers,

Christian

PS Bring it to our Northern Meet

[ QUOTE ]
Drystone said:
How you getting on with the S2000 Andy? Anymore scalps taken at the traffic light Grand Prix, any tail out moments? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cheers,

Christian

PS Bring it to our Northern Meet

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
What do you think Christian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Not so many tail out moments though, try to keep those to a minimum! But, the other day I took my mate out for the first time, nice hot dry day, top down. Went out and warmed the engines and tyres and then took him down a local favourite road for a blast.

I am still learning the car and still get surprised by the imense levels of grip. I went into a couple of corners thinking I was going to fast and thing flew round on rails! I even tightened to see what would happen and it still gripped!

Another corner a took my foot off the gas a little to test and that was a little scary, felt the weight shift to the front and the back began to shift, so I gently got back down on the power again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. Still looking for an abandoned bit of tarmac to test the handling a bit further.

The brakes are also awesome, came flying up to a sharp 90 degree right hander (2nd Gear) at about 115 (km/h), stamped hard on the brakes, no fade, no squirming and a clean v.hard brake down to 40mph in very little space, the tyres squealing as the excellent ABS did its job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I did whoop a 172 and a TTR the other day but that was the most recent, did I tell you about that one?

[ QUOTE ]
I did whoop a 172 and a TTR the other day but that was the most recent, did I tell you about that one?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, do carry on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

What about the opel version of the VX220. I know it's the same car but does look slightly better I think. Shouldn't be too hard to import one and you'll save money.

James

I have just finished a quite lengthy 4000 mile review of my S2000

Click Here to read

Christian.... mmmm.. the 172

well, I was on the M69 in the morning a week or so ago,(in my dream of course) tottling along at about 70-80mph (I was in no rush) when I see a group of Xenon lights approaching fast in the o/s lane.

At the front was a TTR then a 172 and then a crappy Volvo 480 something. The 172 was gagging to get past the TTR. I dropped a few cogs, 3 to be precise and nailed it, quickly catching them, the Volvo gives up the ghost and I am hard at the 172, quickly catching, then the TTR pulls over and teh 172 tries to break away. I am glued to the back of him and he pulls over, I stretch the S2000's legs up to 140ish and the 172's a dot! I know he continued up to about 130, but it will really struggle above 120ish. I was surpised how quickly I pulled away, shortly after, I went back down to 85 and he flew past probably flat out. It was good fun, shame the TTR wasn't more of a challenge.

I am just dying to find a Boxter to destroy and a Boxter S to have some real fun with and probably get beaten /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VX220 is a hoot.
Err dunno what you are talking about RE the dash - they have stack dashes in em.

I prefer the more angular look of the VX TBH.

Tuyrbo engine is alright, but a c20LET would be better...

seen a few VXs that get driven really hard and they stand up to it.

Look out for the special edition "Lightening" ones. You wont miss em!

Hee...hee!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Great story Moff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Cheers,

Christian

I'd have a long look at the VX220, the NA ones can be had for giveaway prices and the VXT is in another league speed wise.

I cant see how the dash sreams Vectra mind - just sreams dull to me.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It is a Standard Elise S1 on a 1998 S plate

In Silver with blue hood

Driving Lamps with protectors

Chrome Elise window winders

Kenwood Stealth CD Player

Cat 1 Alarm Immobiliser

Sports Exhaust

Hurricane Air Cone (?)

Check out my avatar for a pic of my new beauty! More pics will go in the gallery when i take delivery next week!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Nice one Moresauce. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Look forward to hearing what it's like to drive, quite different to the A3 I'm sure.

Christian

[ QUOTE ]
Moresauce said:
Hurricane Air Cone (?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Its basically the same as the Green Cotton twister induction kits... sealed CAI.

Rich

Hi Moresauce

What a great looking car. Look forward to more piccies when you pick the car up.

Him indoors is looking to run a "fun" car alongside the S3. A secondhand Elise is on the list of possibles. Main thing that worries us is getting in and out of the car we're both quite tall and neither particularly slim jims. So is it as difficult to get in and out of the Elise as Clarkson made the VX220 look on Top Gear?

Another roadster driver whoo hey! Congrats with the new car, lets pray for a fantastic summer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

You can't beat open top driving a raw convertible IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Thanks guys..with all this weather I can't wait to pick it up!

Cobstar - I'm 6ft 1 and getting is no hardship, the elise will never be the easier car to get into but i find no probs with it.

Hi Moresauce
Thanks for that. Not quite as tall as you - but glad to know that height isn't an issue. He'll have to experiment with whether being a fat b*** is! The descriptor is his own - not mine.

Looking forward to your piccies and driving reports! Enjoy your new purchase.

Does this mean that you have disposed of the A3?
Another Audi-less member?
Oooooooh!
Nice little motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Cobstar - only problem I had was getting out of the Elise at Manchester airport in a sharp business suit complete with short skirt!

There's just no way you can do that elegantly !