Short shifter - different option.

g60leigh

Reaction score
Ok so I had been toying with the idea of a short shifter for a while now and looked at the eBay ones, DIY ones and the forge etc ones.
Whilst online I managed to find a B&M shifters one from the states at a good 2nd hand price.
This was originally for an Audi TT but thought it was worth a look.

I had a good search around and to the best of my knowledge this has never been tried on a S3 before.

Anyway I bought it and it was delivered on Monday so decided to fit it today since it wasn't raining.

It is a pig of a job to do due to the usual clearance issues. Would of been a ton easier on a ramp !

Instructions from B&M shifters are flawed as they only show fitting to 2wd cars but managed to work around that.

After a few cuts and bruises and a bit of greasy work and head scratching I have managed to get it all fitted up and working perfectly.

So if anyone is considering a quality short shift mod. This is definitely one to consider.
Sorry no photos of the install work due to the lack of space but I will load one of the finished shifter later.

Reactions: Westy
So is it the same design as the forge/ebay ones of is it like the dieselgeek one? Any links to the actual product?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352311061141713ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352311075433723ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352311119270196

Not the best pics. I'll try and get some more in daylight.

It is a new gear stick assembly rather than a modified shift weight.

So its a whole new assembly, do you change the fittings on the gearbox?
Wonder if the BM will work with the forge type short shifter, extra short shift :sly:

Ooh very different mate, never seen a in cabin one fited to a a3/s3, can you retain the stock gear knob? Also whats it feel/drive like?

Not sure about retaining stock gear knob. Mine was flaking on the chrome so wanted to change it anyway.

Just changed the gear stick assembly all the way down to the shift cables.

I reckon you could use it with the forge weighted shifter part. Although Sony think you would want to. The throw is massively reduced as it is.

I have a TT weighted shifter part I was going to use before I bought this as I have been told they reduce the throw slightly but after trying this I don't think I want any more reduction

I have not been out far enough in the car to give it a good road test but definitely a lot snickier into gears and a lot less throw.

I used to have a occasional crunch going up to third but that seems to have gone with this! ? !

Most short shifters are just an adjustable plate where the cables ends are. This is new and exciting :)

Leigh, does it effect the side to side movement as well as front to back? Any links to the product?

This good be very interesting, especialy if you couple it to the forge/ebay gearbox shifters like ive got fitted :), and as youve said, i think i may cure my crunch issues as i feel its in he cabin thats causing my issues as i only hear the crunch in cabin

I think it will be too much reduction with one of them fitted as well.

If anybody is prepared to measure there gear throw we could compare them up.

I can do mine with the B&M
Also need a standard set up and eBay / forge ones.
Can also do one with TT shifter to see if it does make a difference.

Well ive got the forge/compbrake ones fitted, ive got front to back and side to side, the front to back one is at its shortest setting but the side to side is set halfway, maybe just abit more but this is to stop issues with gear selection as any less and it can cause issues.

tell me where to measure from and ill do it tomorrow mate to compare?

I think the only way to measure it would be using centre of gear knob.
Measure from in 1st gear to 2nd for forward throw and 1st to 5th for side throw?
What do you think?

Soinds good, i can measure from the centre console for 1st to 2nd to centre of the gear knob but wheres best to measure for the 1st to 5th, from the door care or something?

Soinds good, i can measure from the centre console for 1st to 2nd to centre of the gear knob but wheres best to measure for the 1st to 5th, from the door care or something?

If you put it into 1st gear and measure from the centre of gear knob to the centre again once you put it into 2nd and 5th

Over priced and not worth it

B&M have a habit of using the same picture for everything

Mine came in at about £65 inc shipping from US.

Instructions would have been great if I had a 2WD car. Gave enough detail for me to work the rest out.

B&m has been around for ages. Considered getting one for mine in combination with the diesel geek but figured it would be a pain to fit. I have a tiny but if play I want to get rid of. Maybe thus would cure it...