1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

short new member intro plus an ECU swap Q

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Dynamite, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Dynamite

Dynamite New Member

[Aug 30, 2010]
    hey everyone,
    well this is my first post here, so a little about me:
    I have come over from 'zine (Audizine.com) and im from New Zealand, I drive a banged up (I know sad :( it attracts people in parking lots) volcanic mica 1997 A4 1.8TQM. I have owned it for about 3 years while I have been at university doing a phys/math degree. It is currently running a wett. tune, rear sway bar, OEM sport shocks, N710, and some other bits and pieces with some H&R race springs and a 4:1 washer mod in the closet for summer. Short term goals (ie this summer) are to get evo 7-10 brakes on and to go to a F4H frankenturbo running a PC16 tune. This brings me to my question:

I have a 557T ecu, correct me if Im wrong but this has immo 1 with it, integrated into the cluster? I want to buy a 557P ecu off a guy on zine with the PC16 tune on it.
    Has anyone done this swap before?
    What will be involved with the difference of having an immo and and an ecu that will not control it?
    I have a "professional" (VCDS Professional Kit - USB Interface: Ross-Tech Store) vag com so I can do most things the mechanics can with theirs.
    Is there a way to turn it off or something with vag com?
    Cheers for any help guys
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 30, 2010]
    think a lot of chipped ECU have immo defeat or various other bits cut out when they are chipped. would check with the owner personally but I know it is something US tuners like Tapp etc can do so it is clearly possible
  4. evilscotsman

evilscotsman Space Cowboy

[Aug 30, 2010]
    with immo 1 you should be able to recode the dash insert immob to the new ecu using vagcom, rosstech have details somewhere on their site about which blocks to modify but its doable if the ecu you buy is compatible with the existing immo box. Otherwise you'll either have no start and will have to frig the ignition control round the immo, or it will just not operate if it fails in the off position, and it will start but have no immob protection.

The ross-tech forum is a good place to ask as you have a proper set, Uwe Ross himself answers questions on there, he's quite active on the board and theres not much he dont know mate :)
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Aug 30, 2010]
    Yank cars that early might not even have the immo enabled.

If it does, it should be doable with vagcom. I swapped ECU's in my immo1 car with vagcom alone.
  6. jcb

[Aug 30, 2010]
    what do the late 99 cars have?
    I havent even thought about this when I come to swap mine, hope it is disabled
  7. aragorn

[Aug 30, 2010]
    analog clock or digital?

If its analog clock on a facelift car it'll be IMMO2, but thats still pretty similar to IMMO1 afaik.

Digital has IMMO3, which is a bit of a tricky b*st*rd.
  8. ian52

ian52 2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

[Aug 30, 2010]
    I have digital clock and immo 3 i presume. I had to go to audi when i swapped ecu.
  9. Dynamite

Dynamite New Member

[Aug 31, 2010]
    hey, thanks for all your help
    my car has immo 1 with the 557t ecu (its a 1997), the ecu i am buying is a yank 557P ecu out of a 1998 I think without an immo at all. does that mean that I can just plug the new ecu in and follow Immobilizer I ECU Swapping - Ross-Tech Wiki and it should work?
  10. jcb

[Aug 31, 2010]
    yes I would have thought so.
    mine is IMMO2 with a an analogue clock, hoping teh ECU has no IMMO to make it easier
  11. aragorn

[Aug 31, 2010]
    dynamite: if the ECU has no immo you wont have to do anything, just plug it in and go.
  12. Dynamite

Dynamite New Member

[Sep 1, 2010]
    ok cheers for all your help guys, unfortunately the ecu I wanted to buy sold before I could get the money. Maybe I will just have to go to HTA3076 instead of the F4h :)
    thanks everyone