Shell vpower or tesco super

Essflee

Reaction score
I've always used shell v-power since I got my S3, however I got myself one of those Tesco club cards the other day as you can get some nice bits and pieces with the points, does anybody think there's that much different between the two, both being 99ron I thought I might just start going to Tesco to reep my rewards...:)

I had been using Tesco 99 ever since I got my S3 but a few weeks back I had to fill up with v-power as my local Tesco garage had none.

The car felt better for it if I was honest... not sure it was placebo as I wasn't expecting any thing differnt but the car certainly felt more 'on it' and responsive.

I am now using v-power :)

<tuffty/>

I've always used shell v-power since I got my S3, however I got myself one of those Tesco club cards the other day as you can get some nice bits and pieces with the points, does anybody think there's that much different between the two, both being 99ron I thought I might just start going to Tesco to reep my rewards...:)

Get a Shell drivers club card, I did and they sent me a V-Power card after a while, which means double points. Also use Shell credit card for 3% or 3p per litre cash back (cannot remember which) - works out well for me.

Ive used both for a period of a month each and VPower defiantly made my car more responsive and bit more eager to rev but not by much. Tesco 99 is a good fuel though. BP ultimate was rubbish in my car and cost the most around by me. I have a Shell club card, think you need to used at least 150 litres of VPower within 3 months, which I certainly have, to get a VPower card. Not sure of the benefits of having a VPower card though.

my m8 has had a 400bhp evo 6 for a couple of years now and he regulates between the two all the time and says there is no noticable difference, i've also tried it and dont think there is a major difference but again can sort of notice abit more eagerness on Vpower, but it could just be in my head.

I've got a standard shell card but don't think it's a lot of cop for how much I fill up, I thought perhaps doing the weekly shop and filling the car up would give me some healthy points... Think I'll give it a go for a couple of weeks and see how it goes...

Cheers lads...

yoyo

:banghead:

V-power will be a hell of alot better for performance, the reason why you ask?? Tesco leach product from fuel terminals, they dont actually produce their own, they come into a depo (BP, Shell, Total or Texaco owned) and simply lift fuel from our tanks, they get a lower grade of super unleaded simply to keep the real fuel companies one step ahead, shell for example add a high grade additive into v-power which is cleaner and more efficient, hence the marked improvement in performance...

if the super unleaded grade was the same across the industry tesco would squash the little guy, which in this case is Texaco!!! and id be out the job!!!

so think, texaco being more expensive is all about the quality of additives...

hope that helps!! lol.

Pooch

Last edited:
shell v-power every day of the week, nothing comes close or runs as well in any of me jap cars, in the A3, who knows, but will continue useing v-power

Is there any point in using an Octane Booster? for example if I were to buy normal unleaded fuel and add the octane booster to it??

Shell CC no longer available unfortunately!

always use v power. have tried bp ultimate when v power was unavailable and car ran like poo!

yoyo

V-power will be a hell of alot better for performance, the reason why you ask?? Tesco leach product from fuel terminals, they dont actually produce their own, they come into a depo (BP, Shell, Total or Texaco owned) and simply lift fuel from our tanks, they get a lower grade of super unleaded simply to keep the real fuel companies one step ahead, shell for example add a high grade additive into v-power which is cleaner and more efficient, hence the marked improvement in performance...

As someone who works in the industry I think you have a duty to accurately report these things, so laymen like me don't make the wrong conclusions, especially when you give away the company that you work for.

As we are talking about Tesco 99/V-Power here, I think that this company here would disagree with your statement that they just leach from various sources and mix up a hochpot of fuel. More info here from another source in the interest of impartiality. Unless they are lying?

And as for Tesco 99 being an inferior product, these guys seem to disagree. This link is borrowed from apost on 8P about the very same thing.

No, I don't work for Tesco, but I think you are being unfair (at best).

Edit: To save reading the whole thing -

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">
Bottom line? Use the Tesco 99 fuel where you can find it, it offers the best, most consistent performance of the fuels available and it’s cheaper than V Power. If you can’t find a Tescos that sells it then go for Shell’s V Power. If you’re feeling really flush, have a point to prove on a rolling road day (days where car enthusiasts compare their cars power on a dyno) or want to extract the maximum potential out of the car on a track day then the BP 102 fuel is worth a go, just bear in mind that £150 a tank would pay for a good proportion of tyres or some decent driver training.

Last edited:
I had been using Tesco 99 ever since I got my S3 but a few weeks back I had to fill up with v-power as my local Tesco garage had none.

The car felt better for it if I was honest... not sure it was placebo as I wasn't expecting any thing differnt but the car certainly felt more 'on it' and responsive.

I am now using v-power :)

<tuffty/>

:iagree: My story is EXACTLY the same, might be placebo (probably is) but even if it's in my head it's good enough!!!

There shouldn't be any difference, but................?

I ran the S3 on V-power until Tesco 99 Ron came to the pumps in Warwickshire and haven't looked back since.

Based upon the Thorney motorsport review and the fact that the nearest shell garage to me is the most expensive in the area by a mile, I use Tesco 99 most of the time and use VPower if I fill up when I'm out and about.

I use Shell V-Power 100.

More grunt and more miles to gallon. Costs more but hey! It deserves it :superman: