1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shell Optimax vs BP Premium

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by imported_monkeytrousers, May 9, 2006.

1. imported_monkeytrousers

imported_monkeytrousers Guest

[May 9, 2006]
    Hi,

My nearest Shell is closed for refurbishment, so I filled up the S3 with BP Premium unleaded today.

I think the car feels more spritely now but I thought Optimax was supposed to be best.

Anyone else found this? Or am I imagining it?!

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. dgannon69

dgannon69 Member

[May 9, 2006]
    i used to top up with both, but found that the car definistly runs better with optimax...

Dave
  4. tonedef

tonedef Member

[May 10, 2006]
    Not sure that I've noticed a big difference between BP and Optimax with the S3 but I do know that with the Corrado I have I a problem with it cutting out now and again when using normal unleaded. If I fill with BP it's still the same but it never does it with Optimax.

Therefore it's Optimax all the way even though Shell for some reason have closed all my local garages other than either the motorway services or one with a 25 mile round trip to fill up. Do I pay the motorway premium price or use a gallon filling up?
  5. Hotscar

Hotscar Four Wheel Drifting

[May 10, 2006]
    I find Optimax more responsive than BP Ultimate and can you believe that the garage I use in the middle of Chelsea is only 99.9 for a litre...cheap as chips given the fact I paid 103.9 in Horsham last weekend!
  6. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

[May 10, 2006]
    I have the choice of four Shell filling stations within a couple of miles from my house.

I've never been impressed with the BP Premium in the S3. My car runs the same on the BP stuff as it does with normal 95, so to me it's not worth the extra.

I had to pay 107.9 last week for 95ron at some remote highland filling station on the west coast. Most expensive fuel I've ever put in a car.
  7. Hotscar

Hotscar Four Wheel Drifting

[May 10, 2006]
    And there was me thinking it was supposed to be more expensive in the city...not sure what's going on with Shell in Kensington but 95 ron fuel is only 97.9 compared to 100.9 at most other garages! Probably spend the extra pennies waiting in the queues though...
  8. robthehungrymonkey

robthehungrymonkey Member

[May 10, 2006]
    I typed out a bit of the EVO petrol review...

CLicky here
  9. darko

darko Member

[May 10, 2006]
    Optimax feels better in mine than BP and also have found prices in london cheaper than outside ! cheapest so far 98.8 for Optimax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  10. imported_monkeytrousers

[May 10, 2006]
    Just checked my initial post - I meant BP Ultimate - the 97RON, not the standard unleaded.

On the way to work this morning the car was fantastic again - I'm sure BP is better in mine - I'm going to stick with it!
  11. robthehungrymonkey

[May 10, 2006]
    I actually found TEsco 99 to be the quickest, my car seemed to have a bit extra low down.
    However, i think Optimax made it (very) slightly keener to rev with BP somewhere in the middle
  12. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[May 10, 2006]
    Mine is rubbish on anything other than Optimax... Its a noticable difference, especially top end.

Rich
  13. Mikejervism

Mikejervism New Member

[May 10, 2006]
    I have tried both in my tt 225. To be honest I found that the BP Ultimate was the better of the two. It definately felt like the acceleration was smoother and quicker. The only problem could be with the increase in fuel emmissions when MOT time is due!
  14. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[May 10, 2006]
    My AmD stage 1 car runs best with BP Ultimate IMO, it's smoother to drive for some reason?! Optimax is good for topend though, I can hit 150 on the clock(private road), and it was still going, very slowly of course. Tescos 99RON is like rocket fuel, lots of midrange with motorway driving and makes engine louder, but not available where I'm living(filled up in Guildford, whilst staying over at friends) - also made average power on a Rolling road.
  15. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[May 10, 2006]
    I take it nobody is going to be brave enough to get a remap using the new BP ultra-premium (102). At £2.42 per litre I guess it really is only viable for track days LOL
  16. robthehungrymonkey

[May 10, 2006]
    You can get 105 RON race fuel Here for the same price. Though, I doubt it has the same R&D going into it.

And I can't see many Audi's being filled up with it!
  17. dpeilow

dpeilow Member

[May 13, 2006]
    Re: BP Ultimate 102

I just checked the BP website for garages that are selling this and it seems strange that there are none that close to a track...

Still, if they are really getting 16% more BHP and 14% more torque than 97 octane on engines that have had the ignition timing and boost pressure adjusted, perhaps this could send an S3 past 300BHP. Anyone at a tuners planning a map that is set up for this?

Dave
  18. imported_monkeytrousers

[May 13, 2006]
    I'd like to try that BP 102, there's an outlet near a route I use now and again.

Anyone know how much it is per litre?
  19. dpeilow

dpeilow Member

[May 13, 2006]
    £2.41 in the report I saw.
  20. imported_monkeytrousers

[May 13, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    £2.41 in the report I saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey. Maybe 5 litres then to see what it's like.
  21. dpeilow

dpeilow Member

[May 13, 2006]
    I wouldn't bother unless you have a race fuel map, even BP are saying you need that to get the power increase.
  22. madvw

madvw Active Member

[May 13, 2006]
    and by the looks of the locations too, they obviously think having 16% more BHP and 14% more torque is urgently needed in as many places possible in north london!! wtf?
  23. dpeilow

dpeilow Member

[May 14, 2006]
    Well 2 of those garages are a stone's throw from my mate in Ilford, and judging by the number of Renault 5 GT turbos around there I think BP are after a slightly different market to what they are claiming...