Shark STS Stage 1 Remap S3

gazzer_s3

Reaction score
Hi, Looking at remapping my 10 plate S3 soon. Anyone used the Shark STS & got any views on the remap?
Ive used Bluefin in past on previous car (Corsa vxr) & was pretty happy with results it gave, but not seen many people on here that have used it?

Thanks
Gary

Theres a lot on here who have used it and it comes in handy for swapping over maps especially if your car is under warranty. If its not under warranty then IMO no need to have the STS. These units are no longer available through any of the Shark dealers but only Shark HQ. The remap itself is very good if a progressive map is what youre after. The difference is like night and day and transforms the car. No doubt afew others will pitch in and comment about other maps which are obviously good in their own entirety so do your research 1st and understand about the different styles of maps available. If you do go for an STS and remap you also get a free immobilizer map that you can upload if you go on holiday for example and want to immobilize the car completely.

I have SHARK Stage 1.

It makes your car much faster.

Its very good.

Reactions: Brodster
does it strain the engine if its remaped? last thing id want is anything to go wrong

Well if I told you to walk up the stairs faster, would that strain you?? :banghead:

does it strain the engine if its remaped? last thing id want is anything to go wrong

I'm sure if you look around here,you'll find the things that do go wrong,and the most common is the manual clutch,which is pretty weak at best.

A Stg1 remap is unlikely to trouble it,but there have been a few which chuck in the towel early,and whenever you remap a car,always have that in mind.

Aside from that,the engine itself is as tough as old boots,and doesn't need any internal work until you get beyond 440bhp,so I think you can rest easy on that one.

My S3 had a GIAC map on it when I bought it, it was very spikey , so now got Shark Stage 1. The map is a very smooth and the car is noticeably more powerful than when it had the GIAC map. Think the rolling road figure of the map was about 320BHP.

I'm sure if you look around here,you'll find the things that do go wrong,and the most common is the manual clutch,which is pretty weak at best.

A Stg1 remap is unlikely to trouble it,but there have been a few which chuck in the towel early,and whenever you remap a car,always have that in mind.

Aside from that,the engine itself is as tough as old boots,and doesn't need any internal work until you get beyond 440bhp,so I think you can rest easy on that one.

Alex, what would you say the bhp limit is on the 2.0tfsi internals rather than S3 (the rods are ****ter I think?)

Alex, what would you say the bhp limit is on the 2.0tfsi internals rather than S3 (the rods are ****ter I think?)

The S3 8P's rods are generally accepted as being safe for 440lbs of torque,which usually also means around 440bhp(although it's torque that bends rods obviously).

The 2.0 would have lower limits,given the rods aren't as tough to begin with,and I think that 360lbs or thereabouts would probably be the limit,and this seems to bear that out.

2.0T FSI vs TSI Info Thread

I wouldn't call it night and day but it is a decent performance increase.

I've done exactly what you describe and a stage 1 with sts, happy enough certainly haven't got any complaints. Shark were the only ones who responded to my questions pre-purchase within a reasonable timescale.

STS is not bad if you want the immobiliser map and don't want to travel to get it done. I used it and found Sharks sending me the revised map back in a quick time. I still ended up at Shark HQ as it is only 8 miles from me. I now have a defunct STS as I ain't changing the map for no one! Lol. Mine is superb.

The view I had was that I could put the standard map back on when I come to sell / trade it in as some dealers not keen on mapped cars.
The STS & Bluefin are only ones that allow you to be able to do this. Can the STS unit be reset & sold on?
The nearest place I can see to me (Portsmouth) for custom maps are Regal Autosport who do Revo or AMD in Essex.

Yes you can do that. As long as you upload the original map to the car and then delete whats on the STS you can sell it on. If you dont upload it and sell your car you will not be able to remove the performance map off the STS thus rendering it useless unless you know the new owner of the car. And Joe Bloggs dealer will not have a clue its been remapped if you dont tell him.