Sharing our custom made ECU maps... maybe?

Rideen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been a member here for a while and I have noticed that we don't have a topic where we could put our custom ECU maps (if anyone actually does make their own and not only go to the tuning companies).

I have been studying a lot about ECU mapping lately, even bought myself an eBay kit to test out if I can create a decent map for my BKD 2.0 TDI 140. I know that mappers that do this for a living hate map sharing and general in-detail map talk, but I don't see why wouldn't we be able to share OUR OWN MADE maps.

So, what are your thoughts that we organize this topic in which we would share our custom map files, give advice on custom mapping, pros and cons of each map, etc?

Edit: https://sites.google.com/site/vagecumap/ Here's where I started my learning of ECU maps.

It's an interesting idea and, being a geek myself, I love learning about stuff like this. I do doubt that there will be much interest in this, given that people who run mapped cars tend to take them to experienced and recommended mappers, who have proven that they know what they are doing and won't flash maps that can result in damage to the engine, which is very easy to do.

I would love if administrators would approve this topic and sticky it. I already have a map for BKD engine with some dyno results and would love to get feedback on it! :)

Also, I would gladly share the map if the community accepts this topic.

Nice! Dyno runs are good, but still quite subjective given how no two dynos tend to give the same results. I think that each map should also come with a VCDS data log to show things like timing, fueling, temps, etc, as well as a list of mods it accommodates.

Nice! Dyno runs are good, but still quite subjective given how no two dynos tend to give the same results. I think that each map should also come with a VCDS data log to show things like timing, fueling, temps, etc, as well as a list of mods it accommodates.

Yeah, that's a great idea as well! I went safely and made a 150-155bhp, 350Nm map for myself (from 140bhp, 320Nm) and it's running pretty good for my taste.

This isn't really the place for it, you could look at the nefmoto forums

Yeah, but I thought that if there's people who are making their custom maps, we could share the experiences and test the maps.

What kit did you buy to reprogram your ECU?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321569848307?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT But I have no intention whatsoever of using the maps that come with it, don't want to blow my engine up. :D

I like the idea of this alot! i would deffo try and map my own car if it wasnt as expensive as an audi! lol.

but i am interested :D

Yeah, but I thought that if there's people who are making their custom maps, we could share the experiences and test the maps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321569848307?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT But I have no intention whatsoever of using the maps that come with it, don't want to blow my engine up. :D
I will re phrase it, LOL

It won't be happening openly on here, we cannot be held accountable for software sharing of any kind. Please refrain from following this up openly on the forum

I will re phrase it, LOL

It won't be happening openly on here, we cannot be held accountable for software sharing of any kind. Please refrain from following this up openly on the forum

We wouldn't be sharing any kind of software per se, only map files that WE made and discuss the maps that we made to make them better. A strong community like this one would be able to produce very good maps for S3 and 2.0 TDI (140 and 170) for sure at least because we would advise each other what to change, etc.

EDIT: It would all be non-profit stuff of course, no illegal business. For exmaple, I make my own map which is my intellectual property and share it here so that others can use it if they want or advise me on how to make it better.

We wouldn't be sharing any kind of software per se, only map files that WE made and discuss the maps that we made to make them better. A strong community like this one would be able to produce very good maps for S3 and 2.0 TDI (140 and 170) for sure at least because we would advise each other what to change, etc.

EDIT: It would all be non-profit stuff of course, no illegal business. For exmaple, I make my own map which is my intellectual property and share it here so that others can use it if they want or advise me on how to make it better.

I'm not knocking what you're doing,but I have to say that there is no way I'd run what is essentially a home-brew map on say an S3(especially not mine!),when there are people like Rick who can turn out custom maps with a lot more experience,and the facilities to test and log.

For anyone willing to use their own car as a test bed,that's fine,but particularly on turbo cars,you're eating into the manufacturers safety/reliability margins by altering the mapping,and to remap is one thing,whereas doing it to produce reliable gains,is another altogether.

Reactions: leshkin
The issue as I see it. The software inside the ecu is potentially owned by someone. I believe you as the car owner are licenced to use it but never actually own it. It's a proper grey area. Perhaps sharing settings and map locations would be acceptable over actual files

Hello guys,

I can share my custom ecu map 2.0 tdi bkd with the following mods:
- egr complete removal, not blocked off, and by this i understand it's been removed from the software as it did not exist.
- diagnostic limit boost pressure increased from 2601 mbars to 3100mbars with accuracy decreased.
- max boost raised to 1630mbars from 1350mbars.
- modified PID for better control of boost pressure and N73
- modified boost vs injection and substituted with airflow vs injection, this way i use MAF values instead of MAP data, as MAP data needs to be derived in order to have air quantity from air pressure.
- modify smoke map for smokeless start.

If you need to know something more just let me know.
The software is modified entirely by me after many many hours of research. I can help you only with info on 2.0 tdi BKD EDC16 since this is my engine and i had no interest in other engines or other electronics for fuel injection.

THX guys

its not illegal or an infringment to share a map file from your car, however some ecu's are hard to recover from a bad flash , edc16 is usually ok and can be recovered pretty easily you would be advised to put the hardware and software number of the file , the people who dload the files and then flash them to there cars ,cannot blame anyone else if the flash goes bad etc . that's where the problems start when 3 mins later youve just flashed a file with a bad checksumm and your car now wont start . however the sponsors who do remapping may or not benefit from this ,i expect they will have alot of ecu's to recover

The issue as I see it. The software inside the ecu is potentially owned by someone. I believe you as the car owner are licenced to use it but never actually own it. It's a proper grey area. Perhaps sharing settings and map locations would be acceptable over actual files
:iagree:

The Intellectual Property in the original software is owned by the original developer. Any modification or sharing of that original software by any of us (without the IP owner's consent or licence) would be a breach of the IP owner's rights.

The only way anyone could legally share maps was if they either (a) wrote the map themselves from scratch and were the owner of the map, or (b) had the approval from the owner of the underlying map.

Just saying...

Hi all.... This is an interesting thread for many reasons :)

The home brew sector of the remapping games just hasn’t really happened to any great deal in the UK. Most of the older ECUs such as the ME7 ME9 EDC15 and EDC16 are quite hard to kill. I’m always amazed at how it does happen and there are one or two little tricks and bits of info that make the whole thing a lot safer. These can be simple things like if you have a ME9 lockup while programming sometime this can be solved by putting the ECU in the freezer for 10mins. This isn’t one of those you can sort the code of your radio out by freezing it but is more due to some BDM programmers over heating the processor. Also knowing how to take things apart the right way and with the even older ECUs the old soldering iron is a must.

Tools and flash equipment is another area that is interesting. Most people in the home brew part of the market will be using cloned equipment. These tools are copies of genuine tools that normally cost many times that of the clones and non of the money is ever seen by the people who create these tools. On the flip side of this I have been telling some of them that they really need to do versions for the home brew market at a price that would stop people from bothering with the clones.

Just as a word of warning many of the MPPS clones have problems with the registry adding bad data.. while this isn’t a problem a lot of the time you can guarantee the one time you don’t need it to go wrong… you guested it …. It will. The other thing you will notice is that with many of them you will find that it will work only with CAN or K-line but not both. You also will need the un-modified original file in the case of ME7 for the tool to checksum the file correctly.

Talking about files, you can’t just talk any version of S3 file and stick it on another S3… You need to have the same software version. This isn’t the hardware number on the case either. In the case of the older cars for example the ME7 most of the time you could get away with this but even ME7.1.1 would cause a few problems for example RS6 has at least 4 versions all on the same hardware number. This problem just gets worse with the later ECUs.

As far as the legal side of who owns the software on your cars is concerned goes, it has always been the view of the tuning industry that the copy on your car is yours to do to as you feel free as long as..

1) You don't try and sell it as something you have written (I'm talking about the original binary)

2) You should be modifying the copy from the car you are tuning (this is good practise as well) there are one or two exception for example Revo who compile their own software.

3) Anything you do invalidates any warranty or guarantees of the ECU and associated part ie. The engine gearbox etc.

If the manufactures were that worried about the mapping industry and the IP side they would have sorted it a long time ago and No the TP version in the latest ECUs don’t count.

The biggest problem has always been the people who modify their car to death and then when it goes wrong wants the manufacture to pick up the bill. If you want to play with your car you have to accept the risks.

I’m moving this thread to the tuning section of the site…. I think there are a few thing that need to be thought about and feel free to PM me.

Reactions: Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps
The biggest problem has always been the people who modify their car to death and then when it goes wrong wants the manufacture to pick up the bill. If you want to play with your car you have to accept the risks.

I agree 100 % with this comment.

Reactions: S3Alex