1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shame about AMD

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by roadrunner, Feb 12, 2007.

1. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Had my car booked in for a custom remap with AMD last Friday but received a letter Friday morning advising the appointment had been cancelled until further notice. Bit miffed as I had booked the day off. No answer on the phones on Friday but got through today to be told AMD had gone into liquidation and been taken over by Big Boys Toys. I don’t know anything about them except the name is naff.

It’s a real shame because Adam and other AMD staff were really helpful especially for technical dimwits like me.

Have to see how things develop.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Dandle

Dandle Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Big boys toys used to be a big company in the classic VeeDub scene.
  4. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Feb 12, 2007]
    This is happening more and more often now-a-days and it really isn't a good thing!
  5. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    So the springs I have sent for replacement from my old S3 will go where.....?

Oh dear
  6. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    If you paid by credit card,contact your provider and you'll be ok.
    If you paid by debit card,oh dear......
  7. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Damn, I wasn't expecting that!

Doesn't Olly_K have some kind of tie-in with AMD?
  8. A3simon

A3simon Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Ah well i just had a lot of stuff done by them. Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong with it now. Real shame seemed like good people
  9. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Save your favourite threads guys...I can see the site will be brought down next.

AmD/Adam, I think, still own this site. So if there's no money, then there won't be any money to pay for hosting costs etc.

AL
  10. Administrators

Administrators Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Hi All

Just to let you know this site isn't going anywhere. I own the site and have no intention of it closing.

Please don't panic ASN is here to stay and will not be effected by anything else.

Adam
  11. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    I didn't know there was a connection but thanks for clarifying.

Must be a difficult time... Good luck.
  12. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Adam as in Adam from AmD? real shame if the business has actually gone belly up in the way described above, thanks for your help the other weekend with my Lambda issue and hope all works out OK :icon_thumright:
  13. A3simon

A3simon Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    I assume that due to AMDs rep that big boys toys will run it under the same name
  14. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator

[Feb 12, 2007]
    OK, guys, lets clarify a few things here. Audi-Sport.net has never been part of AmD.

This site is not going anywhere at all. Things have never been better with the site and it will keeping getting better. The new classifieds section is proving popular and hopefully the online store will take off too.

No need to start posting "backup your threads" etc as there is no need. This site will be around for a long time yet !
  15. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Thanks for clarifying things Olly.

I've just had bad experiences in the past, when Audi-Sport.net was owned/run by different people many years ago - site didn't get backed up and a lot of useful info was lost. So perhaps I'm over cautious these days.

Hope things go well for AmD. As they've had a good reputation for many years.

AL
  16. tinka

tinka Guest

[Feb 12, 2007]
    just been on the amd website,(which i guess most of you have),and they have also moved down to west thurrock,essex,although the name remains i wonder how many of the original staff do as its a fair trek from bicester,
    and imo,its the staff,techs,that the reputation is built around.
  17. Dave_Bayern

Dave_Bayern Slipping at 3.5Krpm

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Maybe its just me, or the whole of UK MKIV's, but they have an incredibly poor reputation. Just as they started getting a reputation for going downhill (2 years ago) I took my car there and was charged a LOT for work that would have been completed quicker and cheaper by a proper Audi Dealer.

I've since had to have lots of small niggles sorted that the original work was supposed to have fixed.

The VW scene certainly seemed to have lost their faith in AmD a while ago, and this is something that couldn't have come too soon, and hopefully the wheat will be sorted from the chaff so to speak in regards to management and customer service levels that have existed in AmD for a while.
  18. d3fy

d3fy Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    You where lucky there then, if it had been a few weeks later it could have been a nightmare for you. AMD did come under some stick on here for poor customer service, once your name gets dragged through the mud its really hard to pull your self out of it.
  19. Dan Gliballs

Dan Gliballs Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    My only experience with AMD is from the rolling road day, and it looked/felt like a bloody good outfit :)
  20. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Feb 13, 2007]
    This is very worrying for you guys. BBT have got a sheeeeeite rep amongst classic dubbers.
  21. Techimike

Techimike New Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 18, 2007]
    Hi All
    Im new on here and I own my own motorsport company and I have dealt with the guys at AMD on a few occassions they know there stuff but I have to admit there is quite a lot of bull on a lot of these forums and the customers just lap it up and never question it and always buy from the cheapest source ie the internet and when ther cheap purchase goes wrong where do they go to to get help, from guys like AMD who know there stuff and can fix there problem but the customer dosent they want the cheapest and because people wont support the companies who know what they are doing they go out of business. THEN WHERE DO YOU GO
    Think about it
  22. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

[Mar 19, 2007]
    And breathe, Techimike....