1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shall I change my MAF?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by themanthatcan, Jul 28, 2008.

1. themanthatcan

themanthatcan Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 28, 2008]
    In the ongoing saga to sort my car, I tried unplugging my MAF the other day before driving to work. To my surprise the car didn't appear to run any differently; it initially coughed a bit from cold but after a few seconds it seemed ok.

What does this tell me about the MAF; Good or bad? I was expecting the car to really struggle! :shrug:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. abdus

abdus Top Gear VCDS Map User

[Jul 28, 2008]
    Why not try vag-com and check for any fault codes?
  4. themanthatcan

themanthatcan Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 28, 2008]
    Been there done that matey. It's had all systems checked at JKM and given the all clear, but something must be up with it otherwise it wouldn't only be running 207BHP.

I've now got to the stage where I feel I need to try swapping a few key parts in the hope that it fixes the problem.
  5. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Jul 29, 2008]
    dont you have to run a 'set up' from vag com when changing the MAF? im hopefully gonna have a new 1 by the weekend.....
  6. h100vw

h100vw Member

[Jul 29, 2008]
    I don't think so, just stick it on and drive. I didn't do anything when I changed one on an A4 1.8T years ago.

MAF faults don't usually show up as codes for some reason. There wasn't one on the A4 it just didn't go any better after it was chipped.

Gavin
  7. Lee_shep

Lee_shep Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    My car is hesitating slightliy on boost so I unplugged the MAF and it's boosting like it should do. Was a bit worried that it may be something else. I shopped around for a new one and spoke to VAG parts in Swindon who always seem to be cheap and supply genuine Audi parts, they told me the cheapest thing to do is take it to Audi who will exchange it for a new one and charge £64.00 + VAT which isnt bad. Before I do that I'm going to try and clean the sensor with some contact cleaner, anyone tried this?
  8. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    [/quote]What does this tell me about the MAF; Good or bad? I was expecting the car to really struggle! :shrug:[/quote]

I thought if you disconnect the maf and the car still runs the same then you do indeed have a maf issue....got to be worth ago !!
    Process of elimination......:unsure:
  9. abdus

abdus Top Gear VCDS Map User

[Aug 2, 2008]
    Just ordered mine today. new maf= £64+ old one

will post back when changed
  10. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    Gav, later cars sometimes need the ECU reset and codes cleared to recognise the new MAF. This is how it was with Clare's Golf when she had it.
  11. h100vw

h100vw Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    Kev, was going on personal experience with an APU engined A4. There were no codes in the ECU on it. Would you needed the reset if there were no codes do you think?

Gavin
  12. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    I would say that if there were no codes and the CEL wasn't on, then a straight swap should work.
  13. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Aug 3, 2008]
    i have just changed mine on my BAM engine...... and guess what....... cant feel any difference :keule::lmfao: