Servicing S3 advice please

spadey69

Reaction score
Ok so I bought an absolute red s3 at a nice price cos its due a service, my mate is a Ford mechanic( dont laugh) and is gonna help me service it. Just wanted to ask a few questions

What oil should I use?
Genuine filters?
Should I pop a k+n panel filter in?
What spark plugs?
Any thing else on a basic service?
Anything to look out for?
How do i reset the inspection light?

Cheers for any help

Steve

If you use the search facility on the forum you can find alot out about different oil people use, plugs and filters.

Should find what your looking for.

I use Mobil1 0w40 oil
Oil filter bought from GSF - £4.50
Up to you whether to put a panel filter in (I have Green cotton)
NGK spark plugs QFR6Q
Don't think there is anything else - what sort of mileage has the car done? Cambelt?
Hold down mileage trip reset button, turn on ignition and press left button which does all sensor checks and the service indicator should reset.

Hi thanks, yeah it was the oil I wasnt sure bout as some say 0-40w ans some 5-30w!!!!!

Mileage is 94k cambelt 91k haldex filter etc 89k

Anyone got any thoughts on ngk irridium plugs? Also do I have to do the pollen filter.

Cheers

Steve

What oil should I use? If you want to stick to the Audi AVS Service (Variable) then the Castrol SLX for 504.00/507.00 is what you want. Other than that check out Opie Oils for Fuchs or other brands. I still use the Castrol SLX but change it every 10k anyway.

Genuine filters? For Oil, Air, Fuel and Pollen I did to start with but have since used 3rd party ones from VWSpares.co.uk at half the price and made by the same people anyway!!

Should I pop a k+n panel filter in? Up to you. For the same price you can change your air filter 4-5 times using OEM ones. Plus it doesn't gain any more performance rfom these 'performance' filters. FYI Audi RS4 still use paper filters...

What spark plugs? Denso IK20 or IK22 or other platinum ones with 0.8m gap

Any thing else on a basic service? Apart from the usual checks (brakes, fluids etc) not much else I guess.

Anything to look out for? Check the inside edges of the tyres for wear plus all your boost hoses and breather hoses - seriously do it. I've found two split ones hiding and also a boost hose close to coming off

How do i reset the inspection light? You need VAG-COM to reset it.

Hi,

I use Mobil 1 5W-50 oil on my S3 2002 (BAM). Service interval is 15.000km. I always use only original parts (AUDI).