1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serviced, now a pressurised oilcap???

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Custard, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

[Dec 15, 2009]
    Meh, anything that collapses under vacuum pressure has an inherent problem in my opinion!

We're not talking about running massive amounts of extra boost from the blower to cause TIP collapse, and extra couple of PSI has been known to cause it. All it would of taken to resolve this problem was a few metal supporting rings built into the TIP.

I don't personally think it was designed to be as good as it could be, which in my opinion is a design flaw. Inept designers? Maybe. I think things should be designed to withstand far more than they are put through on a day to day basis.

Anyway, you have your opinion. I have mine. :)
  2. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Dec 15, 2009]
    how?
  3. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Dec 15, 2009]
    because the pipe was already split Bill. Dave putting a plug in it did effectively nothing, as he was plugging the open end of a pipe already split further up it's length.

that's not to say that his crank case pressure hasn't been caused by a blockage elsewhere in the PCV system, as I said above.
  4. badger5

[Dec 15, 2009]
    PCV is a t-piece, the stumpy end of which is the one way valve for manifold vac
    something got blocked else it would not build up the pressure. (some kinked pipe perhaps)

blocking the vac pipe which goes to the manifold should not have made any difference to crankcase pressure. it would free vent into the TIP on otherwise std pipework, unless that pipework had collapsed or kinked.
  5. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Dec 15, 2009]
    thanks Bill, you've just confirmed exactly what I've been saying for this entire thread, although nobody seems to believe me.
  6. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Dec 15, 2009]
    Anyway back in the real world there is something called a "cost/price ratio" You want something made to a higher spec, then you will have to pay more. Audi designs are spec'd to a given limit, going over board on the capability of components when its not needed would only either eat into profits or drive the price up.

So fancy paying more for your S3 ?
  7. badger5

[Dec 15, 2009]
    as described its a weird one..
    stopping it breathing is the only way I can think it could presurise the crankcase, which is collapsed or kinked pipe most likely..

bizarro
  8. Frankus

Frankus Old but built for speed!

[Jan 18, 2015]
  9. Erikn89nl

Erikn89nl Active Member

[Jan 19, 2015]
    5 year old thread, revived with a quote, and nothing else. Mystery to me.
    JamieT_a3 and A3-Lee like this.