Service & S-Tronic

W

Wifeb4Life

Hi, I'm interested in getting an A7 bitdi (probably 2013 maybe 2014 facelift) and have 2 further questions:

1. What are the service schedule intervals, part replacement schedules like on these cars?

2. How are the reliability of these cars only being a few years old? as I hear the S-Tronics have been troublesomly expensive in the past how have they matured and or is there still any common issues?

Thanks

Service schedule depend on what the car has been set up on. Some are long life c19k miles and others are 10k / 1 year. (As is mine).

My (bitdi a6 BE saloon) 10k oil service on Friday is costing me £280 all in at a dealership nearby, quotes ranged from this to £380 at another dealership in Wimbledon for the same.

All the bitdi engines run on the 7 speed ZF auto box, (not s tronic) which is solid in terms of reliability - used in a plethora of premium cars these days - inc BMW / Jaguar etc, so you should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Service schedule depend on what the car has been set up on. Some are long life c19k miles and others are 10k / 1 year. (As is mine).

My (bitdi a6 BE saloon) 10k oil service on Friday is costing me £280 all in at a dealership nearby, quotes ranged from this to £380 at another dealership in Wimbledon for the same.

All the bitdi engines run on the 7 speed ZF auto box, (not s tronic) which is solid in terms of reliability - used in a plethora of premium cars these days - inc BMW / Jaguar etc, so you should be fine.

Small typo: The BiTDI use an 8 speed ZF autobox, also used in the RS6, and is considered extremely reliable. An oil change, even if Audi claims it is sealed for life, as per ZF recommendations would be at 80-120.000 km.

It is considered reliable but my mate has just had his replaced as it was slipping in the lower gears......

Bit of a cockup by Audi mind as the new gearbox does EXACTLY the same thing!!

Luckily for him Audi picked up the 11k bill.......

I'd definitely get the box oil changed as per ZF's recommendations and ignore Audi's advice

Small typo: The BiTDI use an 8 speed ZF autobox, also used in the RS6, and is considered extremely reliable. An oil change, even if Audi claims it is sealed for life, as per ZF recommendations would be at 80-120.000 km.

Yup - fat fingers to blame, good spot.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback you just got me looking at the gear box and you are right its not the s-tronic but aparently its 8 speed ZF which like you mentioned is in the BMW and the jag XF I was looking at originally and i know they are bullet proof so thats one piece of mind.

See the place I went for my test drive it said in the trip computer the car was due it's service in 13k miles or 312 days and the guy said it has a long service of 2 years but he wasn't an Audi dealer in any form so I needed to check. Do you think then that it's 19k miles or every 2 years? Or 19k miles and every 1 year?

Also is there any set mileage for belt and water pump change?

I think it sounds like long life, but the key piece in a long life service is that it is "up to" 19000 miles, so I'm assuming that the cars ECU can bring that mileage down as required if there is a lot of short journeys, etc......

As mentioned - I'm no expert! I tend to do what the car tells me to do at the time!

If you buy the car you can do 1 of 2 things: leave it as it is until next service due and make a decision then, or bring it into an Audi dealership and get it serviced. There is a feeling that 19,000 miles in between services could potentially be risky (even though Audi are happy to recommend it) for the long term health of the engine and regular servicing - whilst costly in the short term, reaps benefits in the long term.

G

Thanks, would it be advised to get the oils changed every year and then get a small service and big service alternating every 2 years?:

Year 1: Oil change
Year 2: Small Service & Oil Change
Year 3: Oil Change
Year 4: Large Service & Oil Change
etc

Also when should this chain be replaced? and is there anything else that needs replacing?

Thanks

I was charged £199 all in for just an oil change on my BiTdi at my local Audi. But I think mine falls into the over 3 years old category of servicing? Mine needs a service now actually, can't believe I've done 10k miles in mine already! The torque is an addiction, I just want to keep driving it! Lol

I'd definitely get the box oil changed as per ZF's recommendations and ignore Audi's advice
Where's the info on this? Isn't the gearbox oil supposed to be done every 40k? I was going to book mine in, as its on 108k miles now, even though it seems to be functioning perfectly?

40K miles gearbox oil changes is for DSG gearboxes. The box in the Bi-Tdi is a ZF 8 speed gearbox with a torque convertor as stated above.
These are supposedly filled for life, but If I was you I would look into getting the gearbox fluid changed as it's over 100K miles now.
ZF state fluid should be changed every 80-120K Km if it is worked hard. Towing, sporty driving or high speed driving.
The gearbox in a Bi-Tdi seems to be a 8HP 55A
https://webcat.zf.com/

Seems to state 1087.298.368 as the part number for the filter set. and recommends ZF LifeguardFluid 8 .

Reactions: jojo and Rhyso
Where's the info on this? Isn't the gearbox oil supposed to be done every 40k? I was going to book mine in, as its on 108k miles now, even though it seems to be functioning perfectly?

You won't find it in any Audi documentation. I think its in the document @desertstorm has linked to. Its a ZF recommendation

I always cringe when they say something is 'sealed for life'. Its a mechanical device with metal on metal contact!! And oil degrades.....

Thanks for all the info so far it's really helping, so now seeming as I will only be using it 2 days a week for cummuting and probably a few weekend drives out It'll probably only be doing 5000k miles a year, so I may stick too:

Year 1: Engine Oil change
Year 2: Small Service & Engine Oil Change
Year 3: Engine Oil Change
Year 4: Large Service & Oil Change
etc

and als do Gear Box Oil change at: 40k miles, 80k miles & 120k miles (will likely never get this far in my ownership)

Recon this is a wise maintanence schedule? or do you recon changing the engine oil at 5k miles every year is excessive and could just be done with the services done at 10k miles every 2 years?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The gearbox transmission fluid is really expensive and you need quite a bit. Fortunately doesn't look like the whole process is difficult or would take too long so labor should be reasonable. Like anything these days I think you need to do some research into what fluid you are going to use.
The VAG spec seems to be G 060162
There are various fluids around that meet the spec and the price seems to vary quite a bit.Mannol , Ravenol , Febi , ZF Lifeguard 8 and of course OE.
This only works out at £10 a litre.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROV...-OIL-8-LITERS-LR023288-AG60-X8-/201657728666?

5l of Febi is £87
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atf-5-Lit...Genuine-OE-Quality-Replacement-/331909397669?

To do the job properly I would suggest you replace the filter as well as the oil. You wouldn't change the engine oil on a car without changing the oil filter.
To change the filter requires the gasket to be changed . The Meyle kit I linked to earlier seems to include all the bolts and fittings that have to be undone to replace the filter as well as what looks like possibly some new magnets for picking up swarf in the sump.
So maybe a little over the top as I would suspect all the bolts could be re used.
Changing the fluid on it's own I am sure would be better than doing nothing at all. I would have thought the 100K mark would be a good time to change the oil on any car with an auto box. The original oil would have been well worked by then and hopefully you would be changing the oil before any issues would be occuring. The cost of an oil change is expensive, but look at the cost of a gearbox.

Reactions: fingermouse