1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

service question

share1t Aug 10, 2006

1. share1t

share1t New Member

hi
    i probably sound a bit stupid but ...........
    i have a 2002 a3 1.9tdi 130 and it is due a service it has 45k on the clock and my mate is going to service it for me as i cant afford stealer prices.
    is it best to use genuine vag filters or are mahle just as good and a lot cheaper. also has anyone used wix filters as dealers are selling them cheap on ebay. costco are selling castrol gtd magnatec sythetic oil for £30 for 2 x 4.5 ltrs so i'll save a few quid there. cheers

2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Moderator

VAG don't actually make any of the filters, so you can get OEM filters for far less money just without the 4 ring logo on them.
    "Mann" are the OEM make VAG cars use as standard, so you can get a Mann air filter for £8 and oil filter for £6. Buying any other make is just stupid at these prices, how much can you possibly save?
    Also these items are the first thing a prospective buyer will examine, if they are not OEM then most will walk away as it's a real indication of how well the car has been looked after.

3. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

i got a genuine oil filers from euro car parts for the S3 and it was about 3 quid.