1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service position for wipers

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by h5djr, Dec 28, 2007.

1. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Dec 28, 2007]
    Following on from the thread about the rear lights in a Sportback, I looked at the web-site referred to. On that website there was this item a bout the wipers which looks interesting.

"The wipers on the A3 have a 'cleaning position' feature - when you turn off the ignition switch, tap the wiper stalk to 'wipe once' and the wipers will jump up midway on the windshield and stop there. That way you can fold them up for cleaning. However, I discovered yet another feature as part of this: When the wipers are in the cleaning position, you can 'wipe' them back-and-forth freely on the windshield! I expected they would be immovable like every other car, but you can actually move them to wherever you want. If you push them all the way down to the normal 'rest' position, though, they lock there and they don't move when you restart the car, so no streaks on your just-cleaned windshield!

I always use the service position when I clean the car so that I can lift the wipers clear of the screen, but there is always the chance of getting a smear on the screen when you turn on the ignition and the wipers return to their normal position from the service position.

Well I've just tried it on my Sportback and it works. Interesting all the little snippets of information that can be found.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. consilio

consilio Up the owls!

[Dec 28, 2007]
    Thats a great tip. I was cursing audi at the stupid wiper design after finding that i couldn't lift them up on my first wash
  4. Matt

Matt Active Member

[Dec 28, 2007]
    Me being me I read it in the manual the 1st time I washed it as realised you cant lift the wiper arms up like my last car. Not used it though as like you say could get a smear on the windscreen :asskicking: Didn't realise you could push them back down till now though!

I can lift the wiper up just enough to wash underneath it so thats what I do :)
  5. benw123

benw123 Moderator

[Dec 28, 2007]
    That is a useful tip. I always forget to set the wipers to the service position before cleaning, and just end up clumsily running my mitt under the wiper while lifting it up with the other hand ...
  6. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Dec 29, 2007]
    Re front wipers, when I used to clean with the washer jet, it would wait a few seconds and then do one final wipe to clear up any drips. Doesn't seem to do this anymore. Anyone? Perhaps it is linked to the setting on the wipers, whether they are on auto or not?
  7. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Dec 30, 2007]
    Nice one Dave, i had a quick scan of the manual last week and couldn't find this.

Saved me asking the same question.
  8. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

[Dec 30, 2007]
    You guys obvioulsy haven't watched the audi channel on sky! Saw this on there months ago!
  9. RGBArgee

RGBArgee Guest

[Dec 31, 2007]
    Great thanks, have only had A3's since 2003 and cursed the wipers on a regular basis until now!! Thanks a lot!!
    :icon_thumright:
  10. Teejay

Teejay Mellow Yellow

[Jan 3, 2008]
    Brilliant!!!
  11. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

[Jan 3, 2008]
    You're describing the teardrop wipe. It can be enabled with vagcom, (central electronics module, byte 3 bit 5) but it doesn't appear to work if you have auto wipers, I enabled this but it only works on the rear wiper. With the auto wipers the last wipe is slower than the others and catches the drips.
  12. Teejay

Teejay Mellow Yellow

[Jan 3, 2008]
    teardrop wipe is already enabled on the front on my A3 John so must be a setting somewhere!!
  13. mfspen

mfspen Member

[Jan 4, 2008]
    This problem is a known bug.

On both of my A3s, the teardrop wipe feature worked initially when the car was new, but stopped working after a few days. Fortunately, if you get your dealer to reset it, the correct operation will then persist.
  14. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Jan 4, 2008]
    So there is a permanent fix, excellent thx! Will chase up with dealer when it next goes in.