1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service items

allan mc Oct 11, 2017

1. allan mc

allan mc Member

Whats the best to get, looking to do a full service on my standard s3, probably just use euro parts unless someone knows of anywhere better, is bosch really the best, car has 109k on the clock, best oil best plug? Sorry for asking and i know there is a lot of info here but it gets confusing when reading multiple threads lol, any links to cheaper places than euro parts would be appreciated thanks

Allan

2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

What are yo planning to use a 'Bosch' part for?... if replacing sensors like the MAF then yes... Bosch parts everytime although not from Euro Car Parts as their Bosch MAFs always seem to fail for some reason... use GSF instead and you get better discount at the weekends with the codes they email out... (around 50% most weekends)

There are plenty of oil threads and lots of hearty discussion too but... changing oil regularly is the key... depending on your annual mileage and how you drive you should look to change oil every 12 months or 8 to 9k miles whichever comes soonest (which means if you do less than 4k a year like I do change every 12 months...)... use a Mann filter, 5W40 fully synth (although the 5w30 squad will argue otherwise) preferably an ester based oil..

Use NGK plugs (not Bosch) so platinums or iridiums...

<tuffty/>

3. allan mc

allan mc Member

Ah great stuff, the oil threads do get confusing with different oils being mentioned, i just assumed bosch as it has a decent name lol, and like you i only do about 3-4k a year so it will be changed every year, im not sure when the last major service was done as ive only had the car a year and a half so jist gonna do the lot

Thanks for the reply

4. Gazwould

Gazwould Well-Known Member

No oil confusion here , all very simple ,

504.00 507. 00 5W30 is just a fraction of 100°C viscosity less than 5W40 502.00 505.01 .

VW 504.00 507.00 5W30 has better oil basestocks including group 5 ester and more additives to combat the 1.8T curse of sludge .

All backed up with oil performance peramiter , VW laboratory commissioned etc results .

5. Pasteurised

Pasteurised Active Member

I use copper plugs BKR7E, and change them at the same time I do my oil and filter, since the are super cheap.

6. allan mc

allan mc Member

I have no idea what all them numbers mean about oil lol, ive topped up with mobil 1 since i got the car and it hasn't had any problems (touch wood lol) so will stick with that

Are the ngk bkr7e plugs off ebay ok? Not dodgy copies or owt?

God i feel like a right newb with cars, over the oast few years ive just had run arounds and just stuck in whatever was cheap, my s3 is my first decent car in years and i just want the best for it as looking through its history it has been well maintained and looked after

7. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Nobody does dude... we are all waiting for his website 'Gaz's World of Oil' to go live so that it will explain it all :)

<tuffty/>

8. Gazwould

Gazwould Well-Known Member

9. Pasteurised

Pasteurised Active Member

As far as I know they are legit, I've bought them 3 times off eBay and never had a problem.

allan mc likes this.
  10. Erikn89nl

Erikn89nl Well-Known Member

Please don't encourage him...

11. <tuffty/>

I don't intentionally but its like his 'spidey chart' sense tingles when anyone mentions oil :)

<tuffty/>

12. Erikn89nl

Erikn89nl Well-Known Member

Hmm, we should test that... We can try digging up some 3-year dead post about roof rails and post a single reply: "5W40 FTW!!1"

Gazwould and <tuffty/> like this.