Seriously uneven tyre wear

V6Pete

Now running on Bentley's y'all
Reaction score
I parked my car yesterday morning with the wheels on full lock and noticed seriously uneven tyre wear on them. There was a good few mm of tread on most of the tyres, but the inside inch had no tread left at all, and was worn down to the carcass.

£575 later today I've got a new set of Conti's fitted, and I'm off to The TT Shop on Monday for a full alignment on their Hunter setup.

After a bit of Googling, I've seen a lot of people complaining on the Mk5 Golf about the same thing. My alignment was checked about 6 months / 7K miles ago, and I was shocked to see such dangerously uneven wear.

Anybody else had something similar, or any ideas?

Pete

I had this on my 3.2, the tracking was miles out. the guy who re set it said its common now because of the state of the roads (potholes). He re set it and its been fine again ever since. Low profile tyres dont half transmit the bumps to the wheel !!

PS..What sort of difference Did your remap make ??

I had this on my 3.2, the tracking was miles out. the guy who re set it said its common now because of the state of the roads (potholes). He re set it and its been fine again ever since. Low profile tyres dont half transmit the bumps to the wheel !!

PS..What sort of difference Did your remap make ??

The guys at The TT Shop have aligned more Audi's than most places, so look forward to seeing what they find. I hope the alignment is miles out, otherwise f*ck knows what's up with it.

Can't comment on the remap, as it was already on the car when I bought it. I believe a map on the 3.2 gives a genuine 15bhp, and helps improve economy.

I get through to 3mm in 8k miles or so and then replace them (Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 235/40/18)

A full alignment including proper corner weighting @ http://www.centergravity.co.uk/ might help.

Tyre pressure is important imo. I run 44psi all-round.

Mine was so far out the steering wheel was not straight. He did wonder if it had jumped the rack !

I get through to 3mm in 8k miles or so and then replace them (Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 235/40/18)

A full alignment including proper corner weighting @ http://www.centergravity.co.uk/ might help.

Tyre pressure is important imo. I run 44psi all-round.

The tyres were Avon 235/35/19, which were on the car (on different rims) when I bought it. It's done about 8k since then, but the rest of the tyre had a fair bit of life left.

The TT Shop have Hunter 4 wheel alignment gear, so that should be more than accurate enough for a lardy road car.

I've changed to 225/35/19 Conti's, but at nearly £600 a set, I want more than 8k out of them...

I agree tyre pressure is important, but 44psi seems very high.

Mine was so far out the steering wheel was not straight. He did wonder if it had jumped the rack !

That's the strange thing, driving the car, it felt fine, and the wheel still seemed dead straight.

The tyres were Avon 235/35/19, which were on the car (on different rims) when I bought it. It's done about 8k since then, but the rest of the tyre had a fair bit of life left.

The TT Shop have Hunter 4 wheel alignment gear, so that should be more than accurate enough for a lardy road car.

I've changed to 225/35/19 Conti's, but at nearly £600 a set, I want more than 8k out of them...

I agree tyre pressure is important, but 44psi seems very high.

tis the only way of dialling out the understeer.:uhm:

The front wishbone, rear bush is probably a bit too soft, allowing for too much toe-out during driving. When I bought my A3, the tyres were worn on the inside as well, but the static alignment was perfect. I changed the wishbone bush and mounting to the Whiteline WALK and my Micheline Pilot Sport 2s are wearing beautifully now as well as a lot less understeer.
Justin at the TT shop might even have them in stock..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pscUai_ACUI

The front wishbone, rear bush is probably a bit too soft, allowing for too much toe-out during driving. When I bought my A3, the tyres were worn on the inside as well, but the static alignment was perfect. I changed the wishbone bush and mounting to the Whiteline WALK and my Micheline Pilot Sport 2s are wearing beautifully now as well as a lot less understeer.
Justin at the TT shop might even have them in stock..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pscUai_ACUI

Thanks for the tip - after reading about this online, it could well be a big help. It could well be money well spent.

Ok I went off to The TT Shop today to get my CV boots replaced - I turned up with the inner and outer nearside, and it turns out my inner offside one has now gone also. Aaargh! So in the end they put it back togeather and sent me on my way. I need to rebook later in the week when my 3rd CV boot arrives.

I've gone ahead and ordered the Whiteline anti lift kit, as it sounds like cash well spent. I've been told it's a subframe off job to fit, so while that's happening, it's no more labour to fit an uprated ARB. Worth the cash?

Although not a very useful visit, I can't rate The TT Shop high enough, such a professional setup and a pleasure to deal with.

According to the video above the subframe isn't moved. I will indeed need done for the ARB.

The video doesn't show the removal of the standard item. Looking underneath the car today, there's no way it would come out with the subframe in situ.

Not sure if this the case on all models, but definitely seems to be the place on the 3.2Q.

Ok I went off to The TT Shop today to get my CV boots replaced - I turned up with the inner and outer nearside, and it turns out my inner offside one has now gone also. Aaargh! So in the end they put it back togeather and sent me on my way. I need to rebook later in the week when my 3rd CV boot arrives.

I've gone ahead and ordered the Whiteline anti lift kit, as it sounds like cash well spent. I've been told it's a subframe off job to fit, so while that's happening, it's no more labour to fit an uprated ARB. Worth the cash?

Although not a very useful visit, I can't rate The TT Shop high enough, such a professional setup and a pleasure to deal with.

I fitted the Whiteline kit myself and the WALK is definately NOT a subframe off job on the 2.0 engined models. Their video shows it quite nicely........ About half an hour I reckon.

Last edited:
I fitted the Whiteline kit myself and the WALK is definately NOT a subframe off job. Their video shows it quite nicely........ About half an hour I reckon.

As mentioned below, not sure if it's different on the 3.2Q, but there was no way the OE bolts can be removed with the subframe in place. I was stood underneath my car this morning, and it was clear.

The video only shows the fitting of the new part - I can't see any mention of the removal of the OE parts.