1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious iPod interfaces: Alpine KCE-425i, et al?

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by BahnStormer77, Jul 7, 2009.

1. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

Has anybody tried these? £160 from eBay, but I'm not sure if this includes the RNS-E interface, but it seems pretty awesome in terms of functionality (apparently will link up to the RNS-E control, steering controls, etc) and not only supports track names on screen, but also does full video!

What has everybody else heard about these?
  2. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Says on Alpine website it will work, but with an optional third party interface???

See bottom of the page in this link: linky
  3. s8craig

s8craig Active Member

I have fitted 3 of them to TT's and RS4's, they seem OK. Full browsing of the Ipod, but I guess for £160 your not getting the RNS-E IMA interface.

It doesn't support full track names, what it actually does is display the Ipod on the screen as video, so yes it shows them. But the DIS just says "POD" when in use. So it's not actually supporting track names.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  4. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

sorry, so I'm clear I will see the track name on the RNS-E screen but not on the DIS (which is a step forward from where I am today)
  5. s8craig

s8craig Active Member

Yes, that is the case. Basically your displaying the video of the Ipod on the RNS-E and interpreting controls of the RNS-E into commands the Alpine understands via the IMA.
  6. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

Are they saying "Kufatec box"... but just without giving them the free advertising?

Why not specify the "third aprty interface" if they know there's one that works?
  7. MarkSport

MarkSport A3 2.0TDI 170bhp PhantomBlack

My only doubt is:

- Is it pays more to have an AV cable / TV out and call directly to the IMA, and then change my songs directly on ipod

or

- Is it worth it to have the IMA + Plus and Alpine, and always have the iPod in the glove box.

PS: Does the alpine unit also charge ipod?
  8. Cruiser89

Cruiser89 Advanced In Car Tech Site Sponsor

Sorry to resurrect this thread...

Was searching around, but thought better to ask then start a new one!

Anyways i have one of these units and have installed it with tv in motion and AV interface, plus i can have full control from the RNS-E and dont need to use the remote.

However im having issues with connectivity. I have tried two iPods. It connects for a while and then suddenly bugs out. It says disconnect and reconnect but then you do that and nothing actually happens.

Anybody have any ideas or experienced this issue at all??

Taa