Sensor Problem

welshwizard

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm looking for some help and advice. I have a 99 A4 2.8 quattro with an APR engine. The engine is misfiring on one bank. I've changed the MAF sensor, reset the throttle body (after a good clean) air temp sensor, coils, plugs, leads, and even the rubber piping on the pneumatic throttle system. All these have improved the misfire, and it's considerably better to drive, but it's still a little hesitant. I plugged in my V-checker, and here’s the results:-
17800,p1392 bank 2 cam position sensor 2-G163 open circuit / short
17755,p1347 cam position sensor 2 G163 engine speed sensor - G28 incorrect allocation
My questions are, are these one and the same sensor (although I'm again guessing that there'll be one for each bank), is this easy to do myself (I'm reasonably competent with a spanner) are these parts reasonably priced, and should I use re-seller or genuine Audi.
There's a lot there and thanks in advance for any help and advice.

They both mention G163, so i'd say its the same sensor.

I'm not 100% sure where the cam sensor is, but if its anything like the 1.8T motor, its bolted to the end of the inlet cam, next to the timing pulley.

Looking at vagcat, the sender is about 70quid, and theres an "impulse rotor" thats attached to the end of the cam thats another tenner or so. Looks like it just bolts on, so should be easy enough to swap.