1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling Car - Questions?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by dan172, Jun 23, 2010.

1. dan172

dan172 ...

[Jun 23, 2010]
    I have someone coming to look at my car tomorrow evening as it is for sale. The prospective buyer is bringing a VAG technician with them. I have no issues with this, however, the prospective buyer wants his VAG techy guy to to plug his computer in to my car.
    Questions are:
    • Is this acceptable do you think?
    • No harm can be done to my car can it?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 1, 2014]

3. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 23, 2010]
    Well, it's entirely upto you if you want to let him plug it in, but if you have no worries about your car, then I can't see anything wrong with letting him plug his diagnostic equipment in, with you watching of course....
  4. dan172

dan172 ...

[Jun 23, 2010]
    As I thought. I have no worries. I might even find out something?!
  5. BillTheButcher

BillTheButcher Member

[Jun 24, 2010]
    Definitely let him do it. If he's gone to the trouble of bringing the technician with him then I think he'll be suspicious if you refuse.
  6. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Jun 24, 2010]
    Just make sure you watch what the technician is doing. Just in-case they do something they shouldn't. Any VAG motor I buy (or friends/family buy) I scan with VCDS to check for any issues.

I went to look at a motor (not my current one) at an Audi dealership and the saleman nearly fell over when I pulled my laptop out and hooked it up to the diag port. He'd never heard of VCDS and I had to explain to him infront of the service manager what it was. I found two engine faults which were enough for me to walk away from the deal.
  7. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Jun 24, 2010]
    Yea you cant lose anything by him running a check and after all you may end up finding something out, which may work in your favour.