Selling a SORN vehical

MikeS4

MikeS4
Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience selling a SORN car?

I'm selling my dad's old Volvo which has been declared SORN. My concern is who will be liable if the new owner then decides to risk driving it away before re-taxing & gets caught on a camera.

The log book states: "The Registered Keeper will continue to be liable for the vehicle until the DVLA is informed of the keeper change". I can send the log book away immediately but they may not process it for some time after.

Should I insist the buyer tax's, or trailers the car away? or am I being over cautious?

Probably over cautious, but I hear what you are saying. When you send the V5 it is processed within a few days, but you could always take it to the local DVLA office and get a receipt. Are they everywhere? There is one near us anyway! Failing that just photocopy it before you send it and obtain proof of postage, I'm sure that would be above and beyond your responsibility.

As long as you send it same day, and keep a copy as proof that you sold it, incase you get something in the post. A friend of mine sold his car, and got a London congestion charge through the post, send of proof and was fine.