1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Revving?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by shaneg, May 13, 2010.

1. shaneg

shaneg New Member

Occasionally (1 in 5 stops roughly), whilest sitting at, say traffic lights, my a3 will rev itself between its idle point and about 1.5k revs up and down until I pull away.

Engine management light is on.

Unfortunately I have not had a chance to get it diagnosed yet due to a busy work schedule but I would like to know what you guys think the problem maybe and a rough cost if at all possible!

Thank you
  2. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving

Would suggest it'll be difficult to diagnose without running VAGCOM, that'd be the best bet.
  3. DaveA3

DaveA3 Audi A-Trizzle!

mine did this a lil bit. Turns out the throttle body just needed cleaning. get some carb cleaner and spray it in and give it a few revs. i took mine out to clean tho as it was easier to get all the crap out

:thumbsup:
  4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like a vacuum leak and a big one if its caused the CEL to come on as at a guess the idle trim will be maxed out...

VAGCOM and block 032 will say for sure...

Have a look at hoses coming off the bottom of the inlet mani in particular the PCV ones as I would imagine you have a big split in that...

<tuffty/>
  5. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Also could be the clutch sensor. You'll need to get it on VCDS/Vagcom
  6. shaneg

shaneg New Member

Thanks for the replies people, Will take a look tonight when I get home from work at the mentioned causes, if no joy will get it on diagnostics asap