Self Centering?

CraigG

Reaction score
Just a quick query...

We fitted new front suspension arms and front shocks and springs to my S4 today and after putting it all back together we seem to have lost the self centering on the steering.

We changed the track rod ends too, so the tracking is likely out (we only counted the turns off and on), but ive never seen tracking causing that much of a loss of self centering before...

Is it likely that getting the tracking done will sort it, or could something else be up?

Will post some pics of the work in a bit.

Just a quick query...

We fitted new front suspension arms and front shocks and springs to my S4 today and after putting it all back together we seem to have lost the self centering on the steering.

We changed the track rod ends too, so the tracking is likely out (we only counted the turns off and on), but ive never seen tracking causing that much of a loss of self centering before...

Is it likely that getting the tracking done will sort it, or could something else be up?

Will post some pics of the work in a bit.

Hi. I'm in the middle of changing the control arms and I've only removed the a strut and upper control arms on on side - haven't removed the tie rod end - and the steering wheel is way off.

Must be something more than just the tie rods.

HTH

Once the geometry is set, you will be ok. Did you fit lowered springs etc as that affects centering action slightly

yer its on eibach "pro kit" springs for a 2.5 TDI Quattro

Its lowered it a good 30mm over the "nose up" look it had before, and it now sits about 10-15mm lower than my standard 1.8T sport.

Just need to get it in for an alignment session and it'll be all good then hopefully!