Seized track rod end

alpesh26

Reaction score
has anyone got any suggestions on trying to free them? The locking nut is free but the nut at the back of the track rod end it seized solid.
Ideally heat would shift it but the gaitor for the steering is very close to the nut and I don't want to melt it because it will be an MOT failure

Are you holding the rack end nut and winding the track rod end off? I did mine yesterday and once the locking nut was free the rod end just unwound by hand.
I'd probably try heating the threaded part of the end to expand it then lash some water on it to cool it quick. Might just free it enough to break it free. As you say you'll never get heat on the rack end without melting something.

You can shield anything from the heat with an old biscuit tin lid, they cut up and bend easily around a gaiter or other delicate parts.

You can shield anything from the heat with an old biscuit tin lid, they cut up and bend easily around a gaiter or other delicate parts.

Not sure a tin lid would work as the rubber boot attaches right to the rear of where you'd be heating, just heating the bit you want to would naturally melt the boot.
You could try popping the clip off and sliding the boot as far back as poss to let you get some heat into it.

Just had a look at mine, that nut is not a nut, it is part of the steering rod to hold the steering rod when you come to fit the new rod end. You need to undo the rod end from the upright, then the rod end will unscrew from the steering rod as you have already freed the lock nut.

Reactions: alpesh26
Just had a look at mine, that nut is not a nut, it is part of the steering rod to hold the steering rod when you come to fit the new rod end. You need to undo the rod end from the upright, then the rod end will unscrew from the steering rod as you have already freed the lock nut.

Yeah, that's the perfect way of describing it. My first post wasn't very clear, I'd assumed you'd disconnected the joint from the upright.

Ah I understand now, the bolts which hold the track rod end to the upright are seized too so it's gonna be fun getting it all free!

Cheers both

Yes, are all exposed to the elements. Use plenty of proper penetrating oil (not WD40) and give it a good soaking every couple of hours. Heat will of course help, good luck.

I managed to get the off side pinch bolt off with a flameless gas heat gun (yes, it took ages) and much beating of the bolt.

I cleaned up the bolt with some emery paper, put copper grease on it and tightened it all back up. Need to do the other side but now it's time for a beer :)

A good tip to remove the track rod end from the rack if seized is to beat it with 2 hammers either side at the same time, that can make a massive difference if rusted into the thread. The pinch bolts are a nightmare though! Luckily I lubed all mine up thoroughly when changing the control arms, hoping they will never be an issue again!

Reactions: alpesh26
I've managed to free both the upper pinch bolts (one on each side) and put copper slip on them so they shouldn't seize for a while. They are a nightmare! Can't believe the seized bolt problem has been an issue since the B5 came out!!