Security

I have a number of security devices fitted to my car. Unlike most here, l would like it back, even if only to retrieve my modified parts which have taken me quite some time to source over the past 18 months!

I don’t have AWG fitted, as it has one serious failing in my opinion.

The car is completely disabled and will not start. Why is that a problem?

Well with the huge rise in off the driveway thefts, including thieves breaking in to get the keys, ld feel much safer if they can drive it off the drive and half a mile down the road before it cuts out, and all hell breaks loose forcing them to abandon it.

I don’t want them coming back in the house and using violence to extract the AWG disable codes from me or anyone else in the house.

Just my view :racer:

Reactions: billymc92, KKOG and Dunedin
Car thieves will not hang around if the car won't start + it might just be broken for all they know.

TX.

Reactions: Dunedin
I agree - when they go to nick the car you are straight on to 999 while getting some rags on and tooling up. I would be right by the front door by the time they realise there is an issue anyone who wants to come back in for another go in those circumstances really does deserve what is coming to them.

Reactions: RS-jay and Dunedin
Tbf @D0C car jacking is still a a rare event. I don't know a single person that has had it happen to them and you don't really even hear that much about it in the papers.

TX.
@terminator x - There's been a few examples on the 8V A3/S3 section recently unfortunately :(
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/carjacked.341062/

But I do agree mate, fortunately it is still quite rare in the Uk

For me, its about time the punishment should fit the crime
The Courts need to make examples of these 'people' to send the message out to other Criminals who are contemplating tis type of crime. They will get lengthy custodial sentences regardless of the BS excuses they come up with at Court

Reactions: Terminator x
Totally agree - the stocks followed by a lengthy term in a hellhole would do for starters.

I remember, I had a really minor rear end shunt a couple of years ago in traffic and didn't get out of the car until I scoped the driver (a bird - so no surprises), any surrounding low life on the street, the car in front for low life, and the car in the rear of it all.

In the end, she was just a sh*t driver who gave me false details so could have been worse!

I am keen on using a disklok for my RS3 due in a few weeks, does anyone know which size I need ?? Want to get it ordered up ready to use from day one, cheers.

Size small,don’t forget to buy the steering wheel cover

Reactions: Dan_DJT
Did we get any traction for the Ghost group buy?

Me, pending knowing the installer.... I can see if my guy would be interested, he puts in a failsafe in case it doesn’t work.

BUT, I won’t be using my time asking if he is prepared to until I have a list of confirmed names.

Well, you can add me to the list albeit for a March install. Happy to stick down a deposit now.

I am based in London and am happy to help the overall arrangements if you want?

The last group buy was done for £320

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We could Hijack the previous group buy thread?

Sounds good, didn’t know there was one.

I’m happy to arrange it through this guy in Cardiff, 30 odd years experience in the industry. But like I said, I need numbers really before I can sell it to him. Because we want it at different times, likelihood is he will want a deposit.

No probs with a deposit - a run to Cardiff and back will pretty much deal with the run in too..... There is a thread in the group buy section of the forum for the Ghost - lets hijack it.

Reactions: AudiNutta
No probs with a deposit - a run to Cardiff and back will pretty much deal with the run in too..... There is a thread in the group buy section of the forum for the Ghost - lets hijack it.

Right so that one is closed. I will have to look into this over the next few days.

@Sandra could you please advise us/me (in PM if required), what we need to do for a Group Buy to be approved for Auto Watch Ghost?

Reactions: Tristan2
Right so that one is closed. I will have to look into this over the next few days.

@Sandra could you please advise us/me (in PM if required), what we need to do for a Group Buy to be approved for Auto Watch Ghost?

I'd be wanting it and happy to go to Cardiff, can make a weekend of it :)

Does everyone think AWG is the way to go to secure your car? My ONLY concern on it is someone breaking in getting the keys the being so p****d off when the car doesn't start they come back in for it...

The car may simply be broken though if it doesn't start. Who would know any different.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I just don't think the scum would come back - you will already be on the phone to the cops and will be waiting inside the front door with a suitably sized lump of wood just waiting for an opportunity to display your disappointment........

Very true. My home alarm would have definitely woken me if the noise of break in didn’t. AWG seems like a winner. Apparently it does have 2 options though. Engine immobiliser or engine stall. Stall will let the car be driven a few hundred meters. If pin isn’t then input the alarms will sound and engine will be slowed and shut down. Interested to know what option people would go for.

Doesn't work like that afaik. Depending on the make / model of car it will either not start or start then stall. Can't be driven off.

You can put the car in "valet mode" though so it can be started without the code and driven around below 30mph (perhaps what you have heard?). Above that speed and the car stalls and can't be started.

TX.

I read this on another threat of the forum mate. From Autowatch themselves and it is based on an Audi, potentially it isn't possible on the RS3, but I would assume it is...

You will unlock and get into your car as normal. You will have a minimum 4 push sequence (Maximum 20 push sequence) you choose on the steering wheel controls that will be learnt by the Ghost and unless it sees that sequence first the vehicle will not start.

On your model vehicle you will be able to choose 2 options of immobilization. Either 1) Engine Start Inhibit or 2) Engine stall. Engine start inhibit means that without first seeing the push sequence the vehicle will not crank or start. It is totally dead. With the Engine Stall option, the vehicle will always start even if you don't do the push sequence BUT as soon as you put it into gear if it has not seen the push sequence, it stalls the engine. If you choose engine stall then you are also able to choose the Anti Hijack feature. The way this works is you enter your sequence to start as normal. If while the engine is running you open the door and then take your foot off the brake for longer than 3 seconds, these 2 consecutive actions are regarded as a hijack trigger. The Ghost then waits to see the door close again, checks to see that you have put it into gear and once you have driven further than 500 meters, it starts flashing the indicators and honking the horn to warn anyone near the vehicle that there is something wrong. The Ghost then checks the speed of the vehicle and if it is travelling less than 10mph it cuts the engine. If the vehicle is travelling over 10mph it will continue honking the horn and flashing the indicators and wait until the vehicle does go below 10mph before stalling the engine. At any point if you enter your push sequence it cancels the hijack trigger and reverts back to normal. The hijack feature is not normally used over here but it has the feature that can be selected or de-selected at will. You can also buy a £10 app if you have an iPhone newer than the iPhone 5S that you can then use with the Ghost Immobiliser. Once the iPhone is linked with the Ghost you will not have to enter the push sequence as the Ghost will immediately recognize the iPhone app running in the background. If the iPhone battery is flat, then you would have to revert back to using the push sequence. Unfortunately if you have an Android phone we are still working on the Android solution.

I too am interested in the AWG, sounds like a good system.

Matt, if you get me details, costs, how many people you need. What discount you be getting, then email it over to me and I will look at it. Any links to the product be useful when I checking it out. :) x

I read this on another threat of the forum mate. From Autowatch themselves and it is based on an Audi, potentially it isn't possible on the RS3, but I would assume it is...

You will unlock and get into your car as normal. You will have a minimum 4 push sequence (Maximum 20 push sequence) you choose on the steering wheel controls that will be learnt by the Ghost and unless it sees that sequence first the vehicle will not start.

On your model vehicle you will be able to choose 2 options of immobilization. Either 1) Engine Start Inhibit or 2) Engine stall. Engine start inhibit means that without first seeing the push sequence the vehicle will not crank or start. It is totally dead. With the Engine Stall option, the vehicle will always start even if you don't do the push sequence BUT as soon as you put it into gear if it has not seen the push sequence, it stalls the engine. If you choose engine stall then you are also able to choose the Anti Hijack feature. The way this works is you enter your sequence to start as normal. If while the engine is running you open the door and then take your foot off the brake for longer than 3 seconds, these 2 consecutive actions are regarded as a hijack trigger. The Ghost then waits to see the door close again, checks to see that you have put it into gear and once you have driven further than 500 meters, it starts flashing the indicators and honking the horn to warn anyone near the vehicle that there is something wrong. The Ghost then checks the speed of the vehicle and if it is travelling less than 10mph it cuts the engine. If the vehicle is travelling over 10mph it will continue honking the horn and flashing the indicators and wait until the vehicle does go below 10mph before stalling the engine. At any point if you enter your push sequence it cancels the hijack trigger and reverts back to normal. The hijack feature is not normally used over here but it has the feature that can be selected or de-selected at will. You can also buy a £10 app if you have an iPhone newer than the iPhone 5S that you can then use with the Ghost Immobiliser. Once the iPhone is linked with the Ghost you will not have to enter the push sequence as the Ghost will immediately recognize the iPhone app running in the background. If the iPhone battery is flat, then you would have to revert back to using the push sequence. Unfortunately if you have an Android phone we are still working on the Android solution.

This might not be as straightforward as it is described, for it appears that EU laws on what you can alarm on a vehicle in motion is not the same as those in South Africa where car hijacking is taken more seriously than here.

I, like many others in Europe, have a system where I can telephone my car after it has been hijacked after which the fuel pump will cut out the next time the car drops its speed to below 20kph. The drug runners are wise to this one now and will hijack your mobile phone along with the car - one might say 'just refuse to hand it over', but when staring down a .38, easier said than done!

The Ghost anti hijack would suit the situation better now, but Autowatch tell me that they have had to pair back on the hijack facilities and cancel out anything that is seen to tamper with the electrics of a car in motion - blaring horn, indicators etc. They are not even sure that they can do much to stop the car other than cut off the starter circuit once the car has stopped, eg. stopped at a toll booth, traffic lights etc. I am waiting their call on this and will update.

Ridiculous how they have to consider a thieves safety when designing these devices. I suppose it's for the safety of other road users. You ought to be able to remote self destruct the car in the event of thieves driving off in your car. Or alternatively be able lock them inside while you set it on fire...

Reactions: Terminator x and Evil Diesel
Totally agree! South Africa (the Ghost was designed in SA..) has the right idea - a car belongs to its owner who can do anything to protect his/her property.

Ridiculous how they have to consider a thieves safety when designing these devices. I suppose it's for the safety of other road users. You ought to be able to remote self destruct the car in the event of thieves driving off in your car. Or alternatively be able lock them inside while you set it on fire...
Yes - I certainly prefer the idea of slow cooking rather than a spectacular detonation .......

once you have driven further than 500 meters, it starts flashing the indicators and honking the horn to warn anyone near the vehicle that there is something wrong. The Ghost then checks the speed of the vehicle and if it is travelling less than 10mph it cuts the engine.

I don't get how this is even legal. What if it's in the middle of a junction or a crossroads or something?

I have found a chap very local to me (a 15 minute walk at worst) who I will use to fit mine (he does these vids on youtube) so I won't be part of the group buy. It is important to me to get the thing fitted on the day I pick the car up so I need to go local.....