Security Watch on my Car??

a_sagad

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought my car a month ago, did all the checks possible and it was all clean. (HPI etc)

Now I'm still waiting for my V5 (logbook), and also on the HPI report now it has a Security Watch on!

What does that mean?

The HPI has also been updated with my details.

Thanks

"Security Watch

Many types of organisation (such as car rental companies) use HPI's Security Watch service to register vehicles that should not be put up for sale. The HPI Check will tell you if the car you want to buy is one of 120,000 vehicles that could be being sold illegally."

"This register typically records vehicles at high risk of fraud or theft (e.g. hire cars, demonstrator vehicles and garage forecourt stock). The Security Watch register is primarily used by the Police, finance companies and the motor trade, to ensure that these vehicles can be traced if someone steals them or attempts to sell them fraudulently (for example - perhaps without first settling an outstanding agreement). The registering party will be alerted that an HPI Check has been made, and they should contact you within the next working day, but do contact us if this is not the case. Please note that you should not purchase a vehicle that is recorded on this register, unless you subsequently receive confirmation that it is all clear from either the registering party or us."

Thanks for that Kaz, but i've already read that and my issue is that the Security Watch was not on before I bought the car!

When I bought it and 3 weeks after they update the HPI system with the new owner this has come up!

"Security Watch

Many types of organisation (such as car rental companies) use HPI's Security Watch service to register vehicles that should not be put up for sale. The HPI Check will tell you if the car you want to buy is one of 120,000 vehicles that could be being sold illegally."

"This register typically records vehicles at high risk of fraud or theft (e.g. hire cars, demonstrator vehicles and garage forecourt stock). The Security Watch register is primarily used by the Police, finance companies and the motor trade, to ensure that these vehicles can be traced if someone steals them or attempts to sell them fraudulently (for example - perhaps without first settling an outstanding agreement). The registering party will be alerted that an HPI Check has been made, and they should contact you within the next working day, but do contact us if this is not the case. Please note that you should not purchase a vehicle that is recorded on this register, unless you subsequently receive confirmation that it is all clear from either the registering party or us."

If it was a hpi company l would be very pi*sed off.

If you ring DVLA they will be able to tell you if a new V5 has been issued to you.

As far as i know if there is anything outstanding a new logbook wont be issue into a new owners name. call them tomorrow mate
0870 240 0010

or
0870 240 0009