Secret Society Of Bmw Owners

DieselJake

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Who owns/has owned/wants to own one.

Hello my names Jake and I don't own a BMW *sits down*... quite fancy an old e30 convertible as a second car though.

i was part of SSOBO lol

Had too much trouble with it, would never go back.

15055082188_9a73b39133_c.jpg

I've previously owned one E36 316i 1.6.... only sold it on recently. Immaculate for a 17 year old car and extremely reliable.

Missus has owned an E46 316 1.9 Petrol... again, very good condition for age and very reliable. Used to get 50 mpg+ on motorway runs if driven at 65 mph.

She's currently driving an E46 320D, which she had resprayed in Atlantis Blue last year and I treated her to some M6 Alloys... a truly beautiful car that's never once let her down. Economy a bit of a let down against the official figures. Gets no more than 55mpg on long runs at 60mph... Usually gets around 48mpg driving at 70mph on the same journey that my S3 gets 38-41mpg from driving at 65mph.

Bmw

Honestly... I've not had any reason to knock BMWs as of yet. All been well built, smooth cars. I've considered an E46 330D and 530D in the past but they're a bit too common for my liking. Still I'd be happy with our lasses current BMW, decent performance, great looks and reasonably cheap to run.

I had a 2010 BMW 118d m sport coupe but sold it to buy my house. Now joined the Audi gang

I would seriously consider one of them BMW 120d's with the saloon style back end and M Sport kit. Really nice looking motor.

Not too keen on some of BMW's recent styling though. Not liking them really squared off rear bumper mouldings and there's too many lines down the side of them now... look too busy. Best 3 series shape was the E46... best 5 series shape was the one you find on the 05/06/07 year cars... lovely looking car in the M Sport kit.

I don't find modern BMWs great lookers, the E36 is the last good looking 3 series in my opinion. The only E46 that appeals to me is the M3 CSL, and the E92 has to be M3 also. I'm sure they are all great driving machines though compared like for like with Audi's, but the Audi interiors are a nicer place to be.

I do miss my old E30 convertable I owned years ago, was mint condition and never ever broke down, I only paid out on consumables (like tyres) and yearly servicing. I did think about replacing with the E36 but never did.

There is nothing in BMWs current range that appeals to me currently except the current 6 series, I do like those!

And I agree with JoJo, I prefer Audi interiors.

I'm partial to a nice BMW. Big fan of the E30 and E46 M3`s. Love taking my brothers E46 SMG M3 for a good kicking although it's a car that needs better brakes than it got. Had a 118d as a courtesy car while mine was being repaired. Annoying auto stop start and too slow by far but it was comfy and did what it needed to.

I like them too to be honest.

I have always liked the E30, E35 and E46 models, especially the M3 in them, I also like the shape of the E46 convertible, very nice looking car even more so if its specced up well. I have even contemplated getting one for the wife, my only concern is the RWD may have her spinning around before she knows it and with the bad weather recently I know she would get in a panic if she got stuck somewhere and couldnt make it back to pick up the little one.

Wouldnt say no all out though.

I had a BMW 325ise in white.

I miss that car almost as much as my XR4x4.

Custom rear badge, custom centre console, custom buttons, clusters and more.
Shame its been trashed. :(

Have a 18 month old F30 320d Sport which is my daily driver. Heavily discounted through my company lease scheme to use for work.

Hate it. Poor quality paint, plastics, crap 8 speed gearbox, terrible fuel economy (48 average mpg), woeful handling, poor infotainment system, unreliable - I really could go on......

Think the brand has gone down hill so much with the new stuff. At 18 months old and 30,000 miles, mine is looking very tired (and I do look after it). I ran the E46 3 Series 320d a while ago and that was so well made. I loved that car - it really did feel like the "ulitmate driving machine" back then. Think the old hydraulic steering was so good for feel etc. Electric has killed them (are with Audi to be fair).

Shame Audi are not on my company scheme :(

Last edited:
Mates just picked up a 2014 235i Msport, only running it in at the moment but having been out for a little blast in it, lovely piece of kit and the noise is amazing.

I've always secretly wanted one, but can't bring myself to living with the orange interior lighting. I mean what were they thinking, it's 2014 for crying out loud! :uhm:

E30 316is are the best I think that's what they are called quite rare for a good one,or the 325i not a fan of cab's

I'm still thinking to get either s4 or m3 e46...

They are well built and sits very nice... Doesn't needs as much mods as Audi s4 if I go down that root :) so that's a bit of saving

I dunno; every time I've bought a car the thought has been "hmm I'll get this one as it's already perfect so won't need modding" and then the modding bug kicks in :lick:

I've just left BMW after 15 years...
Started in an e36 316i, then 318iS, e46 320d MSport, then e92 320d Msport.
Always had the modding bug, started with my 1.0 1985 Metro City which I didn't have long until it had an MG Metro engine dropped in...

kirkistown_01.jpg

front.jpg

big-red.JPG

Reactions: jojo
I've just left BMW after 15 years...
Started in an e36 316i, then 318iS, e46 320d MSport, then e92 320d Msport.
Always had the modding bug, started with my 1.0 1985 Metro City which I didn't have long until it had an MG Metro engine dropped in...

kirkistown_01.jpg

front.jpg

big-red.JPG

How do you find the migration to Audi then? Honest opinion.

I love the 2.0 TDI 177 engine, much better torque. Dash is a huge improvement, love the S-line seats.
Overall I'm very happy. As I've said before, I drove a 1990 80 Sport many years ago, moved to BMW 520i and sold it quickly after as I couldn't hold out to the fuel. Took me a while to get back to BMW.

I really wasn't impressed with the new 3 series. Dash is bland, ride too hard, wasn't engaging.

The one thing I do miss is the inflatable side bolsters. The S-Line seats would be 110% if they had these to lock me in place...
I was going for an A4 Avant, and the A5 Sportback was bought in a head/heart-ish transaction, big boot, Quattro, diesel engine.
A month in and I'm loving the car, the toys, and most of all the looks. It's a great compromise, coupe looks with real-world practicality!

My dad had a new e36 M3 when I was about 9 years old.
I had an interest in cars back then but I wasn't heavily into them - for obvious reasons! lol.

At that I knew the car was special, it felt what could be described as an aura around it - I loved the shape, sound - pretty much everything about it.
I was gutted when the car went - my dad only owned it around 7 months and was changed for a new R reg Mercedes C180 (terrible car).

I have always told myself I would own one or a 328i coupe one day - I have been close a few times. I guess I need to act up before they all get too shabby/expensive.

I had a 1990 E30 320i back in 2008. Great fun to drive, rear wheel drive and no traction control. Here's my weekend car, also very good fun to drive........
10321593 10204613660723045 5980556623280667012 o

I've always secretly wanted one, but can't bring myself to living with the orange interior lighting. I mean what were they thinking, it's 2014 for crying out loud! :uhm:
My brother-in-law has a 2009 320d SE. The interior reminds me of our convertible but with a few more gadgets!

He showed me the computer which was no different to my fathers F reg Audi 90...not for me I'm afraid.

I've had,

E30 318i coupe
E36 318is coupe
E36 M3 EVO 3.2 coupe
E36 323i Convertable / Hardtop
E36 328i Convertable / Hardtop
E46 330 MSport Convertable/Hardtop

On my list to buy at some point

E60 535i MSport
E93 335i MSport Coupe

Also BMW MINI I've had a R56 Cooper S, and currently own a R50 Cooper.