Second car decision for the Mrs

gordie1973

Reaction score
Hello all,

Don't flame me if its been done before!..., I had a bit of a search with "wife" "second car for wife" etc and all it seemed to throw at me was incidents of prangs and bumps lol!

After much head scratching with should I / shouldn't I with my imminent s3 arrival, due to our forthcoming other imminent arrival (well feb) of jnr #2, I've decided that we'll go ahead with the S3, with the caveat that we'll get a bit of a luggage loader come jan for the family run around.

Open to options, going to set a budget of £6k maximum, needs are big (needs to be an estate, or a 4x4 of some sort) petrol or diesel, don't care about transmission either (although CVT would be less preferable), good reliability, BUT must be a bit fun for me too!!!

So far, I'm thinking A6 avant, Mondeo estate, s max, or Mazda CX 7......

Would be great to get some other opinions.

(To put into context - when we had #1 I bought her a Seat Altea 2.0T DSG - brilliant little car, if you excuse the less than quality dash, but it's still going to be too small boot wise for what we need I think)

Cheers!

I was going to say a passat estate too, defo would go with one of these.

Audi A4/A6 allroad, Audi A6/A4 avant, VW Passat estate, VW Touran, VW Touareg, BMW X5, BMW 330d estate, Subaru Forester XT, Subaru Impreza WRX STI estate, Porsche Cayenne... anyone would think I had kids or carried loads of stuff with the car's I'm into but truth be told I just like big cars.

Audi A4/A6 allroad, Audi A6/A4 avant, VW Passat estate, VW Touran, VW Touareg, VW Sharan, BMW X5, BMW 330d estate, Subaru Forester XT, Subaru Impreza WRX STI estate, Porsche Cayenne... anyone would think I had kids or carried loads of stuff with the car's I'm into but truth be told I just like big cars.

Some lady will be very happy with those choices! :wub:

Reactions: DieselJake
Thanks all - sorry it's taken me a while to get back, the forum pixies didn't email me to say I had replies. Think the Passat looks the best bet.....

Will probably come back on closer to d day and panic some more!

Reactions: DieselJake
Howdy all, still hadn't pulled the trigger on this, until I went out for a drive with the Mrs and boy, and passed a ford garage with a nice focus estate on the forecourt, it was a trade in they took and was in decent shape and within budget £6k.

So into the showroom I went to sign the deal, got distracted by a CMAX, and now am about to sign a deal for a £24k (albeit I've got £4.5k discount off that price) for a brand new 2ltr tdci titanium with all the bells and whistles (and yes it's the face lifted model)!

So, that's the update from me. Have asked for a drive in one during the week before I sign on the dotted like, but with the discount and 3.8% apr - 'twas a no brainier.

Have asked orange wheels for a quote too as want to make sure I have the best possible deal.

Anyone had experience of the new CMAX?

Cheers,

Reactions: jojo
Nope, I didn't get the s3 in the end..... Long story with a change of job and a few other things...... Anyway, I've gone down the pcp route, selling her old car for the deposit and getting the dealer down to £199 per month.

Lots of deals to be done out there, as its traditionally a quiet time of the year, and it's a good size, well equipped and economical...... Ok, not quite the S3, but expanding family means needs must!

Still have an a6 company car, so will still be around here for a while!

Reactions: jojo
Dealer u turned on the deal today, said he made a mistake on the finances and double counted a ford deposit allowance...... Which is weird as the price he gave me was within £100 of the broker price. So without it the price is £1500 more than the broker.

Maybe he did get it wrong, maybe the dealership has hit its target, who knows.......?????

Going to get back to the drawing board!

If you have signed a deal surely the garage will have to honour it , check with trading standards .

He sent it as an email for me to have a look at before making my decision pending a test drive this week.

Not overly worried as I can now do a bit of shopping around, and who knows maybe leaving it a couple of weeks may make it possible for a sharper deal as we approach Xmas....