Seating position when driving fast. Turnfast web

[ QUOTE ]
Jiu jitsu Power said:
It´s difficult to me to find the best position as the steering weel blocks the vision of speedometer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats a "speedometer" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seat low, back enough to be able to press the clutch without strain and steering wheel pulled far out. This gives best feel and reactions, but makes you look a bit silly....

Nothing much to add to what David has said, other than:

- when gripping the top of the steering wheel your arms should be slightly bent, not locked straight

- also when gripping the top of the steering wheel, your seat back should be upright enough so that your shoulders are firmly against the seat back, not away from it.

AL

I don't know about driving fast, but my A3 doesn't half give my back aggro. This info is very useful, I have been trying for ages to sort out my driving position, but what feels 'comfortable' doesn't always feel the same way after an hour driving....

Anybody else find the A3 seats a bit uncomfortable ???

Will try the above tips....

I find the s3 seats very uncomfortable!

Remember you do'nt have to push the pedal all the way down to change gear, so you don't have to sit close enough to touch the floor with the clutch pedal.

Any recommendations about cornering though - I did a course the other day where you drove faster and faster in a circle until the car lost traction. I found myself slipping on the leather seats over the edge towards the door/handbrake !!!!!

Jo,

Yeah, the side bolsters, especially on the bottom half of the seat, aren't high/deep enough IMO.

RE: A3 Seats. I found the Sports seats in my A3 1.8T Sport ok. Only uncomfortable on really long journeys.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
I find the s3 seats very uncomfortable!

Remember you do'nt have to push the pedal all the way down to change gear, so you don't have to sit close enough to touch the floor with the clutch pedal.

Any recommendations about cornering though - I did a course the other day where you drove faster and faster in a circle until the car lost traction. I found myself slipping on the leather seats over the edge towards the door/handbrake !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

you should be able to push the clutch down to the floor. Why? Because the clutch side footrest should be used to push you firmly back in your seat when you're not using the clutch itself. This bolsters you in the seat and prevents you from sliding round when cornering. Your knee should, if possible, be bent a little - if you have an accident and your leg is straight you risk doing yourself some pretty serious damage.

-- james

I guess its a matter of opinion about pushing the clutch all the way down, but I don't see what it has to do with the footrest.....

My leg is bent while resting on the footrest, and slightly bent while changing gear...

If my leg was straight while resting on the footrest I definately wouldn't be able to change gear 'cos the footrest is above the bite point of my clutch?

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Jo,

Yeah, the side bolsters, especially on the bottom half of the seat, aren't high/deep enough IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you need to get a bigger ****, AL?
Mine fit me just fine...

Might I suggest 12 pints of John Smiths and an Indian Takeaway every day for 6 months...then you'll find the S3 seats are made for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:

Maybe you need to get a bigger ****, AL?
Mine fit me just fine...

Might I suggest 12 pints of John Smiths and an Indian Takeaway every day for 6 months...then you'll find the S3 seats are made for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Cheeky ******. Very true though, a bigger **** would sort things.

AL

You can't corner fast unless you have alcantara !!

:)

Jesus mate where have u dug this thread up from lol!

Last edited:
I prefer the Jesus one "leave the resurrection to me" but I cant find mine .....

if you dont push your clutch all the way down you will **** your sycromesh up !

6 years!!! Count 'em, 6 years :respekt:. That has got to be a record, lol. :faint: