Searching for A4 B5 ECU

genecan

Reaction score
I need a spare ECU for my 1999 A4.

Audi part number 4B0 906 018 K; Bosch part number 0261 204 897.

Does anybody have one for sale?

Or can you give me a clue where I could ask for it.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard buddy.

What's actually wrong with your original one, or do you just need a spare one to modify?

What engine's in your car?

Ebay usally has a fair few ecu's on as well.
Even if they dont have yours a lot of car breakers are advertising on ebay and will probably be able to get you one.
Are you aware that you will have to code the new ecu to the car, (plenty of people on this forum will have the vagcom software (myself included)to do this?

Vagcom isn't all thats required, you also need some way to aquire the SKC code from the immobiliser unit to program into the new ECU, and vagcom cant get this data.

Yep - Aragorn is right
Your car being a 99 year will probably have immo 3 which needs hooking up to the Audi UK computer to do this.
Even the dealers (or so they say) dont have access to the code.
There may be a way around it with software called vag tacho but I have never tried it.

Welcome aboard buddy.

What's actually wrong with your original one, or do you just need a spare one to modify?

What engine's in your car?

Well, my original one is fine, I need a spare one for modifications.

My car: 1999 1.8T quattro, engine code ANB.

Well, first I am located in Sofia, Bulgaria. I have few people I know that might help me solving the immobilizer issue, if not I will turn to the Audi officials here.

But as a first step I need to get that piece, and as it turns it is not that easy at all. I regulary check ebay and submitted a part requets to few sites like brakeryard and partsgateway, but still no success.

Thw only quote I got was from VW warehouse Ltd (phone 01254 397777), I tried to call them twice yesterday but the connection was so bad I could barely hear the guy on the other side - I got so frustrated... I could not find any e-mail for contact too.

In the UK 1.8 quattros come with a 180 BHP 1.8 turbo engine.
The engine code you gave is for a 150 BHP 1.8 turbo engine.
This leads to two issues.
1.You have given us the wrong engine code (easy to do given the vast number of them).
2.You are going to struggle getting a ecu for a Audi Bulgaria 150 BHP A4 quattro out of the UK given that Audi UK only suppplied the A4 quattro in 180 BHP.
There is a third option
You actually have a B6 platform A4(this is the B5 forum) which does seem to have a 150 BHP quattro.

Sorry if this is getting confusing

I did not know that the UK B5 quattros came only 180 bhp.

The engine code and the platform I have given are correct (I have a facelift B5, 150 BHP 1.8T (ANB) quattro).

Then this leave us at the option where I am actually searching for 180 BHP ECU from the UK. Then I doubt I will finad such an ECU at all, but If there is one I do not mind getting it - it would be the same as getting chipped.

All of which lead me to ask: (and I've tried a search for the answer but had no success)

What, apart from the ECU, actually is the difference between a 150hp and 180hp 1.8T engine, and why can't we, for instance, turn an AEB into an APU?

I'm getting chipped up in the new year anyway, but I've never had a straight answer!

not sure if the cams/head etc are any different?

But afaik if you fit the K03s to an AEB you effectively have a 180hp engine (bar the electronic throttle i think the 180hp lump has)

Oh, I forgot about the KO3s. Hmm. So it seems the internals are the same.

Never really understood why a larger turbo should cost much more to make than a smaller one, or in fact why Audi bothered with the 150hp version.

180hp sounds like much more fun....

180PS AJL engine is also drive-by-cable, Aragorn.

Ah didnt realise that, thaught all the later cars were DBW.

audinary, size of the turbo has little bearing on the cost, a K03 or a GT35 cost similar amounts new, ones capable of 200hp and the other 500hp. The manufacturer will however choose a turbo that gives the desired power output most efficiently, with the best driving characteristics. For 150hp the k03 is ideal. for 180hp however its starting to become a little inefficient, so they use a slightly larger turbo. If you go too big then it becomes laggy.

An example of this is the Cosworth RS500. They fitted a huge T4 turbo for homologation reasons but it only ran 220hp in road trim, the standard T3 equipped cosworths were faster and nicer to drive in standard tune because the turbo was properly matched to the power level.

Yeah, cheers Aragorn. In my time in the trade I have driven 'scort cossies with the T4 and the T25 turbos, and can vouch for the difference in lag. The later, post '94 unspoilered machine was a superb drive.

What I can't see though is why Audi deemed it necessary to have a 150hp and 180hp version of the same engine, unless it didn't want to kick sand in the face of the V6s.... Political reasons, perhaps? I guess the 180hp car had a bigger profit margine then!

The 150PS models were Audi's first foray into 5-valve technology.

So it stands to reason, as they evolve, they'll increase the power levels.

escos had T28 or T35 as standard iirc, T35 on the early cars and T28 on the later ones with the plastic rocker cover.

The 180hp upgrade was due to the quattro system sapping power and adding quite a bit of weight. Would be a bit lame if the quattro model was slower than the FWD model, so they upped the power!

ill double check my numbers with your if there the same then ive got one for cheap if you want it mate:)