1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sealed unit battery

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Nitro, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Nitro

Nitro Member

Can you put a sealed unit battery (original VW/Audi) on a charger? Also it has a DOT indicator, which is black. Can I recharge it or is it showing that the battery life is over? If so, Wheres the best place to get replacements

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Rallyman

Rallyman LPG Abuser & have VAGCOM
    Bronze Supporter

I had an original sealed battery - I think it was a Hella one, You can try to charge it, though mine went at about 9-10 years. When they get in this state, usually it is a dead cell so wont hold a charge anyway.
    Get a new one, Euro car parts are pretty reasonable. I upgraded to a larger diesel version - see if your battery try can cope with this there is a second mounting hole for a larger battery
    Oh yes, find a local scrap merchant and take them your battery - you'll need some ID though and you'll get some ££ back !

4. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

You can charge a sealed battery on a charger as long as the current is not excessive. Some of the big rapid chargers are not advisable.
    Any normal charger not an issue. If the "magic eye " is black and the battery is over 5 years old it's probably toast.
    Instead of Euro car parts try carparts4less Car Parts Online, Spare Parts, Motor Spares from CarParts4Less.co.uk
    It's the on line version of ECP and the prices are usually 15-25% cheaper.
    Try comparing the 2 sites and you will be suprised.

Karl.

5. Rallyman

Rallyman LPG Abuser & have VAGCOM
    Bronze Supporter

The only bad thing of the online sellers is when it comes to batteries: You have to wait and as "normal" couriers will not accept/ship a charged lead acid battery, then you have to work to the arrangement of the companies that do!

6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

next day from ECP using UPS

7. foursprungdugtechnique

VW are MUCH cheaper than Audi for batteries, I got an 85Ah for my 2.5Tdi for £75, most motor factors will charge around £/1Ah for a decent battery