SEAFOAM

jamie226bhp

Reaction score
Has anyone used this product as they rave about it in america but i haven't heard of anyone over here using it, any problems it can cause

supposed to clean the engine i think, i think there are videos on you tube of it being used

I'd consider the Subaru upper engine cleaner. Should be readily available from the dealer!

images
images

That is all.

they seem to throw it in everything, fuel tank feed it in via vac line.

You get as good a result from a pint of water into your intake when running. just enough to start slowing revs down but not bog or hydrolock your engine!
certainly blows some crap out the back.
I would wonder where that crap is going if you have a CAT though......

have used redex type stuff in fuel before, not convinced it does anything.

they do it on ebay and ain't worried about the cat as once it's done i'm fitting a ths decat,

I'd be more worried about flakes of hard carbon going through my exhaust turbines!

feeding water down a vac hose will have the same effect and its recommend imo

Water? Really?

But then thinking about it i have seen headgasket failiure where the affected cylinder is spotless, so in theory it will work, just sounds odd.

Perhaps i should use sand instead.......................................................LMAO

internal steam clean.
just don't flood it!
you will be surprised how little you need to hydrolock it and bend a rod!

But then thinking about it i have seen headgasket failiure where the affected cylinder is spotless, so in theory it will work, just sounds odd.

yup... if youve had the head off an engine with a dead head gasket, youve never seen such shiney crowns.

thats not the main benefit though. when you do the internal steam clean you clean a lot of crap out from the rings too. with all that out, the rings can expand fully and seal better.

ive done the water trick on the golf a couple times, fed in via a 3mm id vac hose. do it before an oil change though because a lot of rubbish makes it into the oil

thats not the main benefit though. when you do the internal steam clean you clean a lot of crap out from the rings too. with all that out, the rings can expand fully and seal better.
l

also be aware that doing this on an old car/engine can be detrimental as the crap you are cleaning out is the only stuff stopping blow by and oil/coolant leaks!

Rather do a flush with a few litres of diesel! Did it to mine a few months back......Fu*k me what a difference!!!!

JCB: true. i knew a guy that did an oil flush on a lump (old bmw diesel) and it cleared out the rings and left the engine with no compression. but if you have a lump held together by crud.... (but at least it ran)

phoenix: same as above, to an extent it will clear rubbish from the rings, but the water treat meant cleans it through from the top as well.

on modern engines like ours the issues shouldnt be severe. ive seen loads of cars where the breather likes to fill the intake system with gum though (broken down oil) that will end up in the rings

Interesting thread..... You have just given me a job to do one lunch time soon now..... At work I can get my mits on some Remote Visual Inspection kit ..... I think I will go and take a loooookey now lets see what 150k and lpg has done to the engine!

I'd be interested in that.
LPG converted car?
what engine?

got the seafoam just plucking up the courage to use it, just going to do the fuel and the intake first and do the engine just before the next oil change ( 3000 miles ), as only done it 2000 miles ago

1.8 AJL engine.... It makes another 10Bhp on the gas :) Yeeehaaarrrr
have a look at cruise control thread knocking aroung you will see a bit of the conversion.
Hybrid LPG system runs liquid rather than vapour to the injectors so a nice cold charge goes in to the engine!
Bad news is that the company that imported it (who I used to work for) dont do it anymore :( . The backing co. fell out with the Italian manufacturers and I lost me job being tech support for it :(
http://www.icomitalia.it/ for info