SDS update on rns-e

wesley

Reaction score
Has anyone done the SDS update on the RNS-E,if so how long does it normally take the rnse to update off the cd as mine has been displaying 'loading cd' for over 20 mins now?

wesley
sorry to sound thick but whats the sds update,ive got rns-e and just curious?

I know Marc has done it. Are you using a cracked firmware on a CD as opposed to a Map DVD? What software version were you running?

I updated from 110 to 650 and it took a while but no where near 20 mins.

I've done four and none have taken more than ten minutes. Thats using just a CD with cracked firmware on.

110-650 ****** hell thats a big update, so you dont need to use the paperback map for landmarks anymore, lol, lol

should take about 5-10 mins wesley. You should make sure you have finalised the CD otherwise it won't read.

When I updated mine to 0650 using the same disc you downloaded it ran through the update, rebooted and then went into a loading job again. once it was finished it rebooted and said "insert navigation dvd" and all was hunky dory.

I assume you extracted the files to the root of a CD? is it possible for you to post a folder listing for the CD? even a screenshot of it in explorer will do.

it was the seller of the RNS-E, he must have bumped it back with vagcom so he could supply itwith a 2005 map that would work LOL. Guess that was why it was a bit cheaper than normal as its a 2007 MY :whistle2:

Definitely no more than 10 mins. Good luck mate: its a great little mod this.

could anyone tell me what the sds mod is please?
cheers

You can speak instructions to your car and it will obey: "Phone John"; "Play track 19"; "Navigate to Timbuctoo"; "Next radio station" etc. etc.

It works through the Bluetooth unit.

You need a microphone (goes in the interior light housing) and the hacked firmware, along with VAG-COM.

ah, didnt know that. So what do you need to get it to work? Gonna be driving knight rider soon LOL

Uh no, that'll be me, I've got some fairy lights from the xmas tree & stuck them on me grill for now, ok they dont run along in order like Kit, more like 1st then last then middle but it was a quick mod, lol

Thanks for all the replies,managed to get it updated now.it was because i was using a dvd rw i think. Doesnt seem to le me use the function 'dial name' now though!!

I told you it was the disc didnt I wes me old son, lol

haha yes u did grandpa lol,now work out why i cant use the 'dial name' feature lmao!!

Not far of mate, my body is starting to work like a ****** old man @34

Thanks for all the replies,managed to get it updated now.it was because i was using a dvd rw i think. Doesnt seem to le me use the function 'dial name' now though!!

you need to recode as per the instructions I gave you.

Also, "dial name" will only work if the RNS-e is currently in telephone mode. You need to press the PTT button on the wheel (the one on the right) and say "Telephone" and then dial now. Alternatively you can say "directory" or maybe "names" to call up your directory.

Similarly saying "Radio", "CD" or "Navigate" from any screen will change the mode.

By the way, I assume you can still use the phone function and that the mic rerouting steps I gave you worked - i.e. if you call someone they can hear you.

All sorted just after midnight, cant believe we were sitting in our cars at that time, Wes had wired the mic correctly, was cause firmware update had wiped directory so no voice tags, but also he didnt realise as the mic & sds were for the whole of the rns/tel you had to as say Telephone, put it into the correct mode 1st before using functions where as mic was only on btooth before, anyway taught me about name tagging as I never use it, another happy modder.

i have a multi function wheel but its the old nasty one with the three buttons either side, im guessing to do this mod i require the newer wheel with the voice button.

well you could do it with the cangate system & use a button on dash as PetrolDave has done, but its not as easy to do & probably just as expensive, plus not as asphetically pleasing