SD card music format?

MarkyH

Marky
Reaction score
So sorting music on SD card for new car and just noticed all my music is AAC format in iTunes which is MP4 format - will this be ok or do I need to convert to MP3? I have 1 folder per artist with music and JPEG artwork in so assume this will all be ok to transfer to the SD card?

Some info on the formats here http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/sd-card-music-formats.165498/#post-1648498

Can't remember what most of mine are saved as (use Spotify mainly) but I definitely have a few FLAC files that it's ok with, have even saved these to the internal drive in the car and they work fine; although the seek is a little slow as they are really rather large!

I imported most of my music into iTunes but always had originals as well, so I would assume that the vast majority of my music is in MP3 format on the card as opposed to AAC.

So is AAC (MP4) ok or not - seems to be conflicting opinions?

You need to check what level of MMI you have.
Basic MMI was tested by johnnythepie, who found that:-

"Recognised and play: WMA, AAC MP3 and M4A
Not recognised: AC3 APE AU FLAC MP2 OGG and WAV"

If you have the Tech pack, you can copy anything to the HDD and play it from there.

You need to check what level of MMI you have.
Basic MMI was tested by johnnythepie, who found that:-

"Recognised and play: WMA, AAC MP3 and M4A
Not recognised: AC3 APE AU FLAC MP2 OGG and WAV"

If you have the Tech pack, you can copy anything to the HDD and play it from there.

Just out of interest, what's the HDD capacity for music? Is it still called the "Jukebox"?

Sadly, I don't have the Tech pack, so I can't answer any questions about it, other than what it does over and above the basic MMI. (which is all I was allowed on my company car.). :blue:

I am having a problems getting MMI to see m4a files on the sad card. No probs with 11000 mp3s spread across 340 folders. But the 400 m4a files are invisible to MMI. Even after converting them to MP3 thy are still not seen by the MMI. Any suggestions guys ?

Just out of interest, what's the HDD capacity for music? Is it still called the "Jukebox"?
Yeah it's still called the "Jukebox". I seem to remember mine being 40GB total size. Will check tomorrow.
I am having a problems getting MMI to see m4a files on the sad card. No probs with 11000 mp3s spread across 340 folders. But the 400 m4a files are invisible to MMI. Even after converting them to MP3 thy are still not seen by the MMI. Any suggestions guys ?
Not everything can play M4A files over MP3. M4A is an MPEG-4 audio file, you can try creating a copy of a few and changing their extension to MP4, put them in their own folder and see if they are recognised. Some devices can read the MPEG-4 audio stream but only if the file meets a list of extensions.

Jukebox HDD is 10GB I filled mine last week from copying certain folders from SD card. No noticeable advantages yet over and above SD card. It took about 1 3/4 hours to complete the copy and fill it up but don't worry it will do this over multiple journeys so no need to leave the keys in whilst parked up sitting in the car waiting.