SD Card for 2010 A6

bwoody

Reaction score
I am picking my car up on Thursday and have been reading up a bit on the MMI. I am getting a Le Mans spec, but just with the CD changer, no ipod interface. As far as i can see the car should have SD slots for music etc (I am not sure if they all have this as standard). This is probably going to be the route I go down at first for music.

What is the best SD card to get? Is there a size limit on the 2010 A6 MMI? I was thinking a 23 GB class 10 SDHC if it will work as this will allow me to add more than enough music, removing the need to add an ipod interface.

Thanks for any advice :)

I am picking my car up on Thursday and have been reading up a bit on the MMI. I am getting a Le Mans spec, but just with the CD changer, no ipod interface. As far as i can see the car should have SD slots for music etc (I am not sure if they all have this as standard). This is probably going to be the route I go down at first for music.

What is the best SD card to get? Is there a size limit on the 2010 A6 MMI? I was thinking a 23 GB class 10 SDHC if it will work as this will allow me to add more than enough music, removing the need to add an ipod interface.

Thanks for any advice :)
Assuming your car also has the Sat Nav then it should have 2 SD card slots as these are in the Nav unit in the glovebox and I think this is true whether it has the DVD or HDD based system. In fact I think towards the end of the C6 run the DVD Nav unit was replaced with a SD card based system. As I understand it on the DVD unit with SD cards the maximum size of SD card is 32Gb, not sure about the SD card only unit. The only real difference then between playing music from an SD card and an iPod through AMI is the user interface. The iPod does all the sorting of files for you, whilst with an SD card you will need to build the structure to suit your own preferences so that you can find the music you are looking for . If the car has the HDD based Sat Nav then you have 10Gb of hard disk to store music on

Reactions: bwoody
Just going with the SanDisk 32GB Ultra Class 10 above, will see how I get on with it. Spending sometime sorting out my music library. Picked up a 32GB Mobile Ultra card too for my phone. Memory cards are a pretty decent prices these days so it would have been rude not to.

I will let you know how I get on once the card arrives and I get the car.

got the new car today, totally stunning, very happy. The above SD card works a treat. Stuck about 12GB of music on it before picking up the car today. Works through the MMI just like an ipod. Can't see me spending the money getting the ipod interface, this does the samething. Can easily bring the card in, update it, make playlist folders etc. Its all good. SD card was only £15 quid too, better than spending 3-400 on ipod interface.

What is wrong with SD cards? Seems like a good solution for music in the car to me.

FYI - All cars fitted with MMI 3G (MOST) have 2x 32GB SD card slots although one may be used for SD card navigation based systems.

Therefore all facelifted A6's (approx 58 plate onwards) have 2x SD card slots even without navigation.

hey Craig, thanks for the info. I saw that. Ive got the DVD based nav system. One 32GB card will be more than enough for my music needs just now. I will get a chance to have a proper look around the car tomorrow.

So can you use both the SD slots for music or just the one?

So can you use both the SD slots for music or just the one?

I am not 100% sure to be honest, I would have thought this would work but you would have to manually switch source between the two cards are the MMI can only be pointed to one source to look for music etc from what I can tell.

You can use both, as I said it depends, on a 2010 A6 you can use both SD cards for music so 64GB available, but you also have the option on the DVD based NAV to copy the nav disk to SD card, then you can only use one slot but it frees up the DVD slot to play CD tracks if you don't have a 6 CD changer which some early A6's didn't have.

You can use both, as I said it depends, on a 2010 A6 you can use both SD cards for music so 64GB available, but you also have the option on the DVD based NAV to copy the nav disk to SD card, then you can only use one slot but it frees up the DVD slot to play CD tracks if you don't have a 6 CD changer which some early A6's didn't have.

That's what I have done . I slot for nav software ( much quicker nav) and one for music. Works well. Thanks.

BWoody,

you've obviously been successful in the process.
I'm just about to go down the same leg - Got the Le mans too. I'm planning on taking from Itunes onto the SDHC card.
Was it just a straight copy of the music directory, or was there anything 'special' needed?

Cheerd
F.

BWoody,

you've obviously been successful in the process.
I'm just about to go down the same leg - Got the Le mans too. I'm planning on taking from Itunes onto the SDHC card.
Was it just a straight copy of the music directory, or was there anything 'special' needed?

Cheerd
F.

Alright mate. I just copied the music from the itunes directory in folders for Artist then folders for albumns inside that.

I did convert my library to mp3 first though which was a pain as I had some mp3 some aac. You can convert the format in itunes too though.

hope that helps, just shout if you are having any issues

Cheers
Brian

Top tip: if it's anything like my old RNS-E, then you could MASSIVELY speed up load times with flatter folder structures and having a bundle of M3U's in the root for all the albums.