1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen wash smell

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by jpda3, Jan 14, 2014.

1. jpda3

jpda3 Member

[Jan 14, 2014]
    Hi all, looking for advice..... help....

for the last few days whenever use the screen wash getting a rotten egg smell coming into the cabin.
    always use screen wash fluid and fresh water, not always measure as per instruction, think the last top up was close to 50/50 mix

for now its not to bad but want to catch this before it gets worse

looking for suggestions on easiest way to flush the system through and what to use...
    dont think emptying a full reservoir using the pump would be a good idea to flush through
    would putting the hose pipe in the tank and letting it run for 15 min be enough

thanks in advance

forgot to mention its a 61 plate 2.0 tdi a4
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Rodders.

Rodders. Active Member

[Jan 14, 2014]
    I've dumped whole tanks using the pump before

Halfords do some scented stuff, its pretty strong, chuck some of that in there?

Dunno if you can put bleach or anything in to help kill of the bacteria?
  4. Anthony566

Anthony566 Active Member

[Jan 15, 2014]
    I had this with my last A4 and I just put clear water through for two full washer bottle loads then filled with neat Audi screen wash for a week and then reduced it to a 50/50 mix for a while and this sorted it ... But it did stink really bad and I can only assume I had mixed to makes of screen wash that didn't mix well and created some bacteria in the water.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  5. jpda3

jpda3 Member

[Jan 19, 2014]
    thanks chaps,

think the cause might have been something black on the filter, deceased/drown fly/spider....
    removed filter and put hose pipe in left it run for a while, part emptied using the pump and added neat additive smell for now has all gone.....

still in searching for the bottle though, guess its hidden between the inner wing and wheel arch liner

going to run this to empty then put some good stuff measured to the correct ratio