Scratches On Display Screen! - Sorted!! :)

Point_Audi

Vorsprung durch Technik
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hey,

I am not sure what everyones dispay screen is like, but recently I noticed lots of scratches on my screen which really did take the look of the screen.

So I set about trying to find the best solution online to help resolve this issue. Some people had suggested replacing the screen from a donor car or purchasing a new one from Audi. But it was discovered that the display screen actually has an Anti-Glare layer on top of the screen and this is what was actually scratched.

A good range of products were recommend but it seemed "Meguiars Plast RX" was the most commonly used to resolve the issue.

9a396961-7180-4a87-8a8f-d19134e07fd8.jpg

When I got home this evening I thought I would give it a go, as the scratches were really starting to annoy me. So I removed the screen from the car and I took a few photos as I went along just encase anyone else needed some help to get their own sorted.

I am not the best at writing "How To Guides" but I hope this helps other members.

Step One

Firstly you will need to remove the surrounding trim, this can be done by starting towards the bottom right and pulling towards yourself while moving along as each part becomes free.

20140901_182350.jpg

Step Two

Once you have the trim undone rest it on top of the dash. DO NOT UNPULG THE AIR BAG cable as this will cause errors on the computer.

Its then just a matter of then removing the four torx screws in each corner.

20140901_182753.jpg

This is what my screen looked like before I started:

20140901_183132.jpg

20140901_183122.jpg

Step Three

Next remove the chrome surround, again its just four smaller torx screws, this helps with cleaning the screen better:

20140901_183617.jpg

Apply the product to the micorfibre and rub onto the screen in circle and back to forth motion until the Anti-Glare layer has been fully removed.
This was my screen after cleaning:

20140901_184943.jpg

20140901_185009.jpg

735d37cb-e3de-4a70-a1b7-664f1fb328ba.jpg

After you are finished cleaning the screen, its really up to yourself you want to add a new protective screen I had an iPad screen cut to size, but to be honest I thought the screen was much clearer without. I might add one again.

Step Four

Just reverse the previous steps and put everything back together, sit back and look at your new scratch free screen! :eagerness:

20140901_195308.jpg

Thanks
Shaun

Last edited:
Reactions: AUDI_ADDICT, RobbieWebs, dantdi and 6 others
Mine is scratched not MMI though so may look at doing this how did you remove the scratches from the screen what was the method

Sorry Ant by MMI I meant the display screen just.

Simply apply some of the Plast RX to a Microfibre and apply to the screen in a circle and back to forth motion they wipe off and continue until the Anti-Glare coating has been removed! :)

Reactions: antowens
Amazing I've got scratches appearing on my RNS-E satnav unit I wonder if it would work on that

Reactions: Point_Audi
Yea I don't see why not mate! :) .. It looks brand new!lol

Reactions: D9n dk
Hmmmmmmm I'm going to try this mine is starting to look how your screen did before the tidy up

Great work tho mate

Cheers mate, it does get really annoying especially when your passengers comment on the scratches!lol

Make sure you keep me posted on how you get on! :thumbs up:

I have some screen protectors on order from German be a better fit than my DIY job!lol

Reactions: D9n dk
Yeh I will do bud I'll get some good fine polish and give it a go soon

Am I the only one with scratches!lol

Yea am sure it would do the same job!

Looks great.
I would try this but I really don't want to take the anti-glare coating off. Could see (or not see) this being a problem in direct sunlight.

Cheers!

I know what you mean, haven't had the sun to test!lol But other guys said it was grand in the sunlight. If you add an anti glare screen afterwards its really the same thing! :)

Reactions: Brennan
You can buy new anti-glare screen protectors tailored for the Audi screens from a company called protectionfilms24.com

They sell on eBay and amazon around £14. Brand name is Vikuiti.

Reactions: ruairi83, Brennan, Gaz170 and 1 other person
Some difference there Shaun, never even looked that closely at mine but don't think it has any noticeable scratches because it's the first thing that would have annoyed me

I have scratches also!

Tried the Plast-RX myself but didn't think about taking the surround off, might give it a try again as wasn't too impressed with my finish. Worse case scenario I have to buy a new display haha

How did you manage to get the screen that scratched in the first place???

It wasn't really noticeable from the drivers position, so I assume it was like from when I got the car as I purposely never rubbed the screen with dash cleaners etc.

Handy enough sorted so no real big deal, seems a common enough issue when I was looking around online.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brennan
I've got same problem on my mmi screen, just waiting for my meguires plast rx off eBay £8.79

Good to hear you got the same results mate! :)

Fantastic results ! Could you use it whilst the screen is still installed ?

Am sure you could mate but you would need to be careful not to get the plastic cleaner on the surround as it might stain it!.. It doesn't take too long to remove! :)

Reactions: Audi Dynamik
Really glad I've seen this, been doing my head in looking at those scratches now for ages!

Amazing could apply it to dial clear screen have a b5 but if I get a scratch well worth a try