1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratches 'n' tyres 'n' things

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Neil C, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Neil C

Neil C Member

[Jul 11, 2007]
    Hi all.

Just back from a foray into Wales. Was cleaning the car last night and noticed some light scraches on the passenger door just above, and below, the trim line. I'm pretty certain these came from a brush with some foliage on one of the many narrow banked lanes I had to negotiate. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can remove said marks, as I want to give the car a polish this weekend ( if the damn weather allows :banghead: )

Also, and I apologies if this debate has been visited before, but what are your views on directional tread tyres versus assimetric ones ? Gonna need new rubber soon, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated :sos:

Cheers.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. d3fy

d3fy Active Member

[Jul 11, 2007]
    Depends what you have, I would try some Meguairs Stage1 cleaner on it, then polish, then wax. I would not use Tcut at all!
  4. si_reading

si_reading Member

[Jul 11, 2007]
    You can get the Megs ScratchX for small scratchs not sure how good it is though.
  5. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[Jul 11, 2007]
    ScratchX is superb! although can only get them out if they very light surface scratches - however even deeper ones it will still 'round-off' the sharp edges so the light doesn't catch it the same.
  6. Neil C

Neil C Member

[Jul 15, 2007]
    Have tried ScratchX and, although the marks have not entirely disappeared, you would have to know where to look to see them.

Thanks guys :icon_thumright:
  7. Teutonic_Tamer

Teutonic_Tamer GreasedMonkey HoofHearted

[Jul 18, 2007]
    What boots do you have at the moment? What are your personal opinions of them. How do you drive? On what kind of roads do you drive on? And what specifically are you after by changing your tyres?

If you give us some more detail, then I can offer a better, considered reply? :)
  8. KRL

KRL Member

[Jul 18, 2007]
    It depends what you want to do. Do you want to remove the scratches or fill them?

Removing scratches can be very difficult and they will generally need machine polishing for anything more than a very fine scratch.

I would give something like AutoGlym SRP as it contains filling properties to hide light scratches and swirls.