1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratched leather

TimJK Jun 22, 2011

1. TimJK

TimJK Member

I have scratched the leather bolster on my seat getting in with jeans...

Anybody know of a way to repair the leather?

2. greg1903

greg1903 Member

If you want to DIY, try this How To Repair Cat Scratches On Leather. A bit time consuming, but I've used it before and it gives pretty decent results. You need the repair kit and the colouring kit. Depending on how deep the scratch is, you may be ok with just the colouring kit.

3. DaveyB

DaveyB No misfires.

You may have some luck with this post in the detailing forum, I bet my bottom dollar you won't be the first, or last to have managed this!

4. TimJK

TimJK Member

Thanks, I have posted in the detailing section now :)

5. Kriminal

Kriminal Member

I've used the colouring balm from the furniture clinc, as per above link on greg's post.

It covers things up pretty well, but I mainly used it to revive the blackness in my leather. There were a few scratches in mine too, but these are now more difficult to notice than before, so could be worth the money if you're willing to part with the time.

The application of this stuff is pretty interesting as it's partially like a wax, and partially like a dying residue - but it bloomin' lasts ages - it's the buffing back with kitchen towel that takes the time more than the application.

6. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

Does not then transfer to your clothes when you sit in the car again?

7. Kriminal

Kriminal Member

'Allegedly' no.

That's why it took me a fair while with the buffing. Having left the applied balm for a while to make sure it was absorbed into all the leather, using the kitchen towel for buffing I was able to see any excess dye coming off, and continued until it remained white.

It does say on the tub that there will no dye transfer, although I wouldn't trust that quote, seeing how much was being removed by the kitchen towel!