Scratch repair

Rich

Rollin on boost mother hubbards
Reaction score
Well my mate actually noticed this on my passenger side wing as I picked him up the other day!

image-upload-29-756207.jpg

Any ideas best how to deal with this? I'm assuming the Red is part of the base coat of the car and not rubbings from the other vehicle? It dosnt scratch off or anything.

I have a scratch and stone chip repairer kit from halfords that I got for my bonnet but havnt used it yet, do you think it will do the job? Any tips/advice most welcome.

i've done some pretty successful repairs in the past by using touch ups but as filip says the results will never be perfect however here's how i did it.

touch in the damaged area using the brush, don't worry too much about the finish as long as the damaged area is covered. as it dries the paint will sink requiring several applications to bring the surface level up to the existing paintwork. in fact you want to get the level slightly higher.

leave it a full day to dry totally

now you need to be pretty careful at this stage as your going to flat off the painted surface using some 1200 grit wet and dry. wet the paper and carefully flat off the area you've painted, don't go mad and keep checking that your not actually rubbing off paint on the existing finish. use plenty of water to lube the paper.

this will give you a pretty acceptable finish once polished, obviously if the surface is laquered then after the initial rubbing down stage you'll need to apply some laquer, i'd suggest laquering the whole mirror then rub down and polish in the same way.

if at any time you notice areas where the paint is lower than the overall surface finish then stop and apply more, however you'll need to allow a day for this to dry properly

I am with Dave ^^^ It can be done with touch up, the main thing is patience in my experience,its a pain noticing it needs more paint after waiting 24 hours for it to dry,but it will be worth it