1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaphoid Fracture

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by S4_dan, Feb 10, 2014.

1. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!
    VCDS Map User

Hi,

Has anyone ever fractured their Scaphoid?! (Small bone at the back of the thumb)

I have. Last week. Whilst out bowling, at the end of the night we all though it we be a good idea to go on the 'Punchbag' machine. I came 2nd. Not only to my mate Adie, but also to the machine!!

Back at the hospital next Wednesday for another x-ray as it shows up better after 7-10 days.

It's not as painful as I thought it would be, just a continuous ache that is annoying!

Left wrist is now in a splint until next x-ray where they will re-assess me. I'm almost 1 week into my sick leave and I'm bored, bored, bored and bored. Oh, have I mentioned I'm bored?!

:-/

Dan

Nilz likes this.
  2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. s33nyboy12

s33nyboy12 Well-Known Member

Yeh I have twice in right hand. Second time was bad and not a lot they can do about it. I used to do mixed martial arts and Brazilian ju-jitsu did once in a fight and second time trying to strengthen my wrists on solid bag with no hand wraps. Take it easy for at least 6 weeks mate it stays fragile for ages.

It's commonly known as brawlers break / fracture iirc.

Sean

4. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

Very common fracture, never had it myself but both the kids have done left and right hands over the years.
    With them it's been caused by falling over and putting their hand down to break the fall. If the ball of your hand at the bottom of your thumb lands first then it could cause a fracture. They have done it from ice skating , roller skating and a slippy kitchen floor.

Karl.

5. yisi

yisi New Member

Very common fractures, but I have not encountered before, but I had a fracture of the leg, but also more serious.

6. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!
    VCDS Map User

To be honest, it's not that painful. Then again it is only a small bone and isn't a main function of the wrist movement so I do have most pain-free movement in my wrist.

It's just a constant ache. I suppose like a feint toothache in comparison. Although I did put my hands on the floor to lower my body down to look under the sofa for the TV remote 20mins ago and that hurt! One of the positions I can't put my hand/wrist in! Do'h.

But the worst part about it all is.........been of sick! I hate it. I hate sitting around doing very limited things. Daytime tv is just diabolical. I have loads of things to be cracking on with but i physically can't do them.

2 x lower ball joints, N/S/F caliper removal-strip-rebuild-refit, complete putting interior back in and that's just on Christine. On my A4 I have full springs, new (old) alloys to fit, fit new towbar electrics, sort alarm out, remove interior for drying out...the list is endless!

Joys!

7. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)
    Team Silver Audi S3

Its a good thing you have brought this thread up.

A few months ago, i thought Id be clever and teach my son a few break dance moves on the polished floor - big mistake!!!

I slipped and bent my thumb back, I was in serious agony!!!

I went to a walk in centre, they checked it visually and said it was fine, however it still hurts me everyday, some days more than others, but looking at the pic of where this injury occurs, it looks very similar to the point where I hurt my hand.

Worth going to get it checked again??