1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat nav query

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by S3 AD, Feb 12, 2009.

1. S3 AD

S3 AD Member

[Feb 12, 2009]
    Hi guys,

I thought I would ask this on here rather than at Audi ( as I am sure Audi would say its not possible or would cost thousands). Poeple on here seem to know more and willing to share the info :)

On my Sanav there is a button marked CD/TV, I have no TV function in my car - so the question is can I (or someone that knows more about it)do 'somthing' to it to enable to the TV function so I can stop getting bored in traffic jams??

The Car is a 57 S3

Any info will be much appreciated.

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 12, 2009]
    It is possible to fit a TV tuner, and on ebay there are ranges of freeview boxes for as little as £40.

Someone will no doubt post with more information regarding to price for the tuner, but it is possible.
  4. mattfinn

mattfinn Smoking is good for you

[Feb 12, 2009]
    The TV will also need to be enabled to work in motion, as it is against the law to have it on whilst the car is moving. sssshhhhhh
  5. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Feb 12, 2009]
    There are many things that you can use this function for. You can add an AV input (i.e. the red, white and yellow cables) so you can plug anything into it such as a DVD player.

Another option is the have that AV input connected to an external media HDD. So you have a HDD in your glove box for example loaded with films. You turn it on and press TV and then using the IR remote that comes with the HDD you can control what films or music you watch straight off of the HDD.

That comes with a small issue of the IR receiver however as you'll most likely want the HDD out of sight but the IR receiver needs to be visable to the remote.

It's possible to get a different sort of HDD that works with an IMA+ adaptor. This gives control of the HDD to the RNS-e so there's no need for a remote. This is a bit more complex and costs a bit more. If you Youtube IMA+ there's a demo of it on there.

You can go the TV route too, if you want digital TV on your satnav.

You should decide which you want to do and then look into it more.

Whichever you do you'll need to get VIM (Video In Motion) enabled. The satnav is designed to switch off the AV display when you go over a certain speed. There are a couple of ways of getting around it, one which you can do yourself. If you want to get the AV setup installed professionally the VIM can be enabled at the same time for an extra charge.
  6. S3 AD

S3 AD Member

[Feb 12, 2009]
    Thanks for the very useful info

I think being able to watch films etc is a little OTT for me and I dont want lots of expense so dont think I will worry (yet) about adding a HDD..........the main reson I thought of this was that I was stuck in some silly jams due to flooding on Tuesday night and thought it may relieve a bit of bordem if I could flick through TV channels.

So for just the TV reception is this somthing a novice could do or should I get asisstance? if so can anyone reccomend a decent company that can do this for me? ideally in the Berks area.

Cheers
  7. Digzz

Digzz "Started From The Bottom" VCDS Map User

[Feb 12, 2009]

You Could Also Hook up a Iphone and watch videos from there...Can't you ?
  8. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 12, 2009]
    Ye with video in feed from any video output unit I'd say.
  9. evapor8

evapor8 Member

[Feb 12, 2009]
    http://www.vwcruise.com/22.html

Chris

P.S. Don't know how far they are from you!
  10. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Feb 12, 2009]
    TV is a nice idea but fairly expensive, especially if it's only for traffic jam use.

Iphone would work for sure yes.

I have a C905 which has an AV output and I plan to run the cable along the inside of the centre console so I can plug my phone in right next to me and watch films from it.

HDD would be great but I wouldn't use it enough to warrant the cost.

EDIT: Hazzy Dayz are based in London btw but they can travel out for a charge.

You can also look up an ASN member called s8craig, he has a site too with prices on but I'm in a rush right now. He's based in Manchester anyway.
  11. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

[Feb 12, 2009]
    http://www.tclsatnav.com/
  12. S3 AD

S3 AD Member

[Feb 12, 2009]
    This is looking a bit more expensive than I thought it would be - although there seems to be a very good I-pod adapter available to that allows you to control the I-pod from the normal in car control including steering wheel and will display album/track info but this has to be combined with a TV reception device and the video inmotion option. Seems like a very cool piece of kit but for £950 all in icluding fitting seems a bit excessive for now but least I know - cheers for the advice!
  13. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

[Feb 13, 2009]
    The ipod adaptor you mention will only work with the MMI systems in the new A4, Q7 etc as it uses a fibre optic connector. You can't see track names from an ipod on an RNSe unless you use something like a DLO homedock and a Kufatec IMA.
  14. S3 AD

S3 AD Member

[Feb 13, 2009]
    hmmmm - bloke I talked to said it was possible......but it dosnt worry me now as I cant justify the outlay it would need