Sat nav or not?

Viking

****** Viking...
Reaction score
Found a couple of A4's I might be interested in, but one of them the dealer is staying kinda silent. I've asked him a couple of questions and not got much detail from him really. Looking at the dash, what is the stereo setup called on these two cars and do they both have sat nav? Coming from a VW which has the RNS510 swappable units etc., I'm unsure about the levels of trim and what comes with what. I do know that it's not an easy job to retrofit the satnav though, so it's kind of important.

audia4.jpg

audia4-2.jpg

The second one appears to be the better spec unit and would have sat nav, but it's a lower spec car overall and doesn't have the level of equipment the first one has. The first one is the one to have if it has sat nav I guess. Unfortunately it's a couple of hundred miles away so not handy to just pop in really.

Also, can the nav units be updated with new maps/firmware etc. same as VW's?

Cheers.

first one hasnt got the nav
second has

first is s-line
second is SE

The top picture looks very similar to mine which doesn't have a satnav. The picture below with the buttons etc on the centre console does have satnav. That's the tell tale sign.

Looking at steering wheel on the lower picture, I'm guessing it's not an S-Line like the one above, so maybe an SE or standard spec.

Yeah, that sort of doesn't surprise me. I thought the top one (S Line) was too good to be true really. The bottom one isn't really one I fancy because it has a cream interior. Not sure I'm old enough for that yet. :laugh:

No matter. Thanks anyway.,

So I need to look for the many buttons on the centre console for nav. That makes it easier.

My old A4 had satnav - RNSE unit and TV etc and I liked it so this time round I made sure it had the satnav again as I do use it a lot, mine has a 3G system that is on a hard drive and you can update the maps etc just like you can on the other versions its just installed on to the hard drive rather than ran from a dvd.

Is the nav unit a dvd based one, or is it hard drive based?

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the above before I posted. So the 3g (is that third generation?) is the one to have?

Depending on the generation I think only the latest one has the 7 digit postcode whereas the older ones only use the 5 digit postcode system. I don't think there is a way to update the older ones either.

5 Digit due to Audi being a German car, Germany only uses 5 Digits.

You also can't upload custom POI or speed cameras to it either, something worth noting.

The older RNSE system was 5 digit the current version is 7 digit and only the maps can be updated on the RNSE as they did not release a 7 digit post code firmware for the oldder RNSE.

I am sure the latest updates for the 2G system do allow 7 digit post codes like the 3G system

The older RNSE system was 5 digit the current version is 7 digit and only the maps can be updated on the RNSE as they did not release a 7 digit post code firmware for the oldder RNSE.

I am sure the latest updates for the 2G system do allow 7 digit post codes like the 3G system

I did the 2012 2G update and it didn't include the 7 digit post code. Unless the latest 2G DVD update from 2013 does? Can anyone confirm?

Am I missing something here, when I look for a secondhand car I have the model in mind along with some "would like to have" options, you have to have the first bit sorted though, getting the first bit wrong so that you can have the "would like to have" options just does not make sense. Sat nav, correct me if I'm wrong, when fitted into a car sort of goes out of "best buy" very quickly, so a lot of people would end up with a previous build sat nav with a still okay car. I would have liked a sat nav fitted to my car when I bought it secondhand - but the car was exactly what I wanted - except no sat nav. I get annoyed when I am faced with that horrid brown radio station display when the radio is on, but better that than having sat nav and not having an S4 with man trans!

I like to have a list of what I want and wait until I find it ....

Well keep away from wanting something like an S4 as when they turn up at the right age, and one of your right colours, they need to be grabbed - also in my case, as I would only accept about 4 colours - and that did not include white or black, so that along with "saloon" and "man tran" took me back to only wanting about 6 out of every 100 cars that came on the market.

That's why I got a new one as I couldn't find what I wanted and they were a good deal atm

Am I missing something here, when I look for a secondhand car I have the model in mind along with some "would like to have" options, you have to have the first bit sorted though, getting the first bit wrong so that you can have the "would like to have" options just does not make sense. Sat nav, correct me if I'm wrong, when fitted into a car sort of goes out of "best buy" very quickly, so a lot of people would end up with a previous build sat nav with a still okay car. I would have liked a sat nav fitted to my car when I bought it secondhand - but the car was exactly what I wanted - except no sat nav. I get annoyed when I am faced with that horrid brown radio station display when the radio is on, but better that than having sat nav and not having an S4 with man trans!

Well, I wouldn't like to end up buying a car and being annoyed at the horrid brown radio station display. Like Anthony566, I'll wait til the right one turns up.

Well, I wouldn't like to end up buying a car and being annoyed at the horrid brown radio station display. Like Anthony566, I'll wait til the right one turns up.

Ah, but he did the real thing as it turns out, ie either spec'd up a new build car, or picked one that ticked all his boxes from stock. I've done that three times, but when I got the S4 I just could not justify paying for a brand new one.

I tend to leave the radio off most of the time, so no horrid brownish display - most of the time.

Just out of interest, is there any aftermarket units available to fit the B8's, i had the same sort of dilemma in my B6 and ended up fitting a Kenwood unit, sat-nav,dvd player, bluetooth and i also have the optional dvb, i found this to be a far superior unit to the RNSE. But like i say not too sure whats available for the later cars.

Well, thanks for your advice on car buying. I'll just wait til the right car comes along (with sat nav) and see what happens in the meantime.

Ah, but he did the real thing as it turns out, ie either spec'd up a new build car, or picked one that ticked all his boxes from stock. I've done that three times, but when I got the S4 I just could not justify paying for a brand new one.

I tend to leave the radio off most of the time, so no horrid brownish display - most of the time.

Well almost ..... I got the Audi dealer to find one that was already built and in the UK fitting the spec I wanted as when I was looking at 2011/12 plate Black Editions it almost worked out the same as I took Audi Finance at 6% plus the garage and Audi contribution with my part X was cheaper than a used one....

Just out of interest, is there any aftermarket units available to fit the B8's, i had the same sort of dilemma in my B6 and ended up fitting a Kenwood unit, sat-nav,dvd player, bluetooth and i also have the optional dvb, i found this to be a far superior unit to the RNSE. But like i say not too sure whats available for the later cars.

There are some touch screen ones .... im sure there is a link on here somewhere showing the retro fit as well as the retro Audi version fit but that was £1700 I think !!

Well, thanks for your advice on car buying. I'll just wait til the right car comes along (with sat nav) and see what happens in the meantime.

Viking I was looking for about 4 months and I did find used ones with the spec I wanted and I almost got one from Manchester as I didn't mind traveling to see it as if it was the right car .....

Viking I was looking for about 4 months and I did find used ones with the spec I wanted and I almost got one from Manchester as I didn't mind traveling to see it as if it was the right car .....

Must be a north east thing. :sly:

Last car I waited nearly 2 years for the right one to come along and went to Nottingham for it. I bought a Beetle for the daughter 18 months ago, and went to Cardiff for that one because it was the right spec. The one I was looking at here is in High Wycombe, and if it was the right one I'd be away today with cash to have a look. If it's not got sat nav then I'll wait for another to come along with the right spec. No hurry really, as I have another 2 - 3 years on the current car before it's time to shift it, unless the right one turns up any time soon. Then it'll be sell the Beetle, give the Jetta to the daughter, and buy the new one for us.